Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
Running light has no power

I have a running light on the curbside end of the trailer which has no power. What I would like to know is where AS ganged the wiring harness for these three lights, was it down by the turn singnal housing ? The only solution I have is to fish a wire to the one next to it to get juice. Any suggestions?
batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The curbside light is the first one in the series according to my 75 service manual. The other two get their power in series from this one. If the curbside one is the only one not working, maybe it is the socket...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lights.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	145185  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've got the same problem on my trailer...the curb side, middle clearance light has no power. I've checked the bulb, and the socket, and the ground. There is no power at the socket, and the ground is good.

I figured the next thing to do is cut a hole in the inside wall where the light is, but have been reluctant to do it, so it's still out.

I take it in for safety inspections when I know they will be real busy, and so far they have not noticed it.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by batt View Post
I have a running light on the curbside end of the trailer which has no power. What I would like to know is where AS ganged the wiring harness for these three lights, was it down by the turn singnal housing ? The only solution I have is to fish a wire to the one next to it to get juice. Any suggestions?
Clearance light wiring can easily be fed from a clearance light that is working, to one that is inoperative.

That applies to the front as well as the rear clearance lights.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
thanks , I will fish to the one next to it, just odd that the first unit is out. Andy years of experience I can see has taught you how to work around problems.
batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by batt View Post
thanks , I will fish to the one next to it, just odd that the first unit is out. Andy years of experience I can see has taught you how to work around problems.
My street side clearance light went out. Definitely not the bulbs. Did you manage to fish those wires over? My LED replacements were supposed to show up today (but they didn't) and we hit the road in the morning so I guess I go without one. Just trying to see how hard that was for you and if you had plenty of slack to make it work.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Did you make sure it has a good ground? Have you checked to see if there is 12 volts at the fixture?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Did you make sure it has a good ground? Have you checked to see if there is 12 volts at the fixture?
Not yet. Had to load up and leave. But my new led replacements for all clearance lights showed up so maybe while everyone else is our for black friday I can check it out. And too funny...we pulled into the campground and the first thing we saw was a dozen Airstreams. Alamo unit rally. Before we even parked we were being invited over. Gotta luv the Airstream community!

WBCCI 3805
Old 11-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
It was nice meeting you, Chuck. Wish y'all could have joined us, but we understand with you having family there, and all.

Maybe next time. Watch the Rally Forum here as I've been posting our rallys, and our next one is January 20-22 at the Rio Raft RV Park on the Guadelupe River just below Canyon Dam.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
RGates

1968 20' Globetrotter
Thousand Oaks , California
I have a 1968 GT and have taken her apart and remember that AS ran both harness wires through a base frame channel where the back storage/battery door was. It met up and ran to the passenger or Rt side down near the waste tank by the steel frame. Mine had alot of rust and the wires were fried there by the frame. Another place to check is your main plug to your trucks hook up. Sometimes corrosion can cause the lites to go inop. Good Luck.
Randy
Randy Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
So sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
It was nice meeting you, Chuck. Wish y'all could have joined us, but we understand with you having family there, and all.

Maybe next time. Watch the Rally Forum here as I've been posting our rallys, and our next one is January 20-22 at the Rio Raft RV Park on the Guadelupe River just below Canyon Dam.
Wish we could have gotten down there, but this was all about grandkids and the Christmas Dickens festival downtown. I really thought we could make it down for happy hour but the festival started at about 5 and happy hour was at 4 so.... we will do it next time!

I did figure out it was a grounding problem, so no big deal with my lights. They are good to go.

WBCCI 3805
Old 11-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
Wish we could have gotten down there, but this was all about grandkids and the Christmas Dickens festival downtown. I really thought we could make it down for happy hour but the festival started at about 5 and happy hour was at 4 so.... we will do it next time!

I did figure out it was a grounding problem, so no big deal with my lights. They are good to go.
We understand, and it was good meeting you. Glad you got the lights fixed.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I pulled the light that was not working and saw rust where the screw connected to the ground. A little bit of scraping and all worked. Then I pulled a couple others and saw the same thing. Also lots of dark black gunk, that at first I thought was just road grime getting in or something. But now, I think it may have been the original gasket material that deteriorated over time and fell inside the lens cover. No gasket meant moisture could get in, and thus the rust on the screws. New LED replacements have a rubber grommet instead of a gasket. So... I think this mystery, for me, is solved. Hope the OP has had good luck as well.

WBCCI 3805