Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
PopHetzler

2003 34' Classic S/O
Troy , Ohio
Rocker light switches at Entry

Folks, need a source for the rocker switches that are right inside the entry door (on the left) for the step light, two overheads and a blank (unwired sw that I think is for a flood light). One of the overhead switches (on-off-on) is shorting out and tripping the fuse. When I turn it on (high setting of forward overhead light), the overheads go off the fan shuts down then the circuit trips. I think it is the rocker switch but can't find a source for replacement.

Regards,
Don Hetzler.
Emh142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Andy at Inland RV has them.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emh142 View Post
Folks, need a source for the rocker switches that are right inside the entry door (on the left) for the step light, two overheads and a blank (unwired sw that I think is for a flood light). One of the overhead switches (on-off-on) is shorting out and tripping the fuse. When I turn it on (high setting of forward overhead light), the overheads go off the fan shuts down then the circuit trips. I think it is the rocker switch but can't find a source for replacement.

Regards,
Don Hetzler.
Don,
I wouldn't count out the motor as the bad guy.

Dan
Old 07-31-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Troubleshooting is in order. You can disconnect the switch and put the wires together* to see if the same thing happens. If not, it's probably the switch. If so, something else. Try isolating the various things the switch operates, one at a time.

I think you are saying one of the "on" positions on this switch ("high") causes the problems and the other does not. Do I understand you correctly? That may indicate the switch, but more amps to something could also be a problem.

Since you have a switch to no where, if the low "on" on the suspect switch works, you could wire the high "on" to the no where switch and not have to buy another switch.

Gene

*sounds like this is a 12 v. switch and it's hard to electrocute yourself with 12 v. though I'm sure it can be done by someone somewhere. Even so, best to turn off the breaker or pull a fuse before doing so (in case it's 120 v., for example; always assume you're wrong about what's going through those wires). If it turns out to be 120 v. and you don't turn off the circuit, you may experience a fun time. I've had my share (or more) of 120 v. and I can't quite describe it except to say it's like being numbed and zapped at the same time. I never hold on very long to get the full experience. I've also melted the end off screwdrivers with 120 v., something that will make you respect electricity even more.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
and a blank (unwired sw that I think is for a flood light).
The blank is probably a 2nd switch for the galley light over the sink so you can turn it on when entering a dark trailer.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia
Door Step Light Lamp Base Wire

We had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago. We kept blowing fuses, from the switch just inside the door, and didn't know what was causing it. The lamp base wire needed to be replaced on our outside door step light. My husband was able to use a similar wire from a vintage car trunk light (77 or older).It was an easy inexpensive fix.
Kristi Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi Foster View Post
The lamp base wire needed to be replaced on our outside door step light.
My door light socket was rusted out. Replaced with an aftermarket LED license plate light. Fits neatly inside the old aluminum light cover and uses a lot less juice.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
turn the fan off and if it still blows, it is not the fan. the high position of the switch power the four perimeter bulbs. only the two inside bulb light on low.

check the four bulb sockets on the perimeter. as a guess, you have a short at one of them. you can remove all four bulbs and if nothing blows, reinstall them one by one.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #9
PopHetzler

2003 34' Classic S/O
Troy , Ohio
Thanks for the suggestion on the blank switch. Didn't think of that. I'll try it. should work.

DH>
Old 08-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #10
PopHetzler

2003 34' Classic S/O
Troy , Ohio
Ricky, et al. thanks for all the inputs. I'm going to do the bulb checking routine tomorrow. The fan works ok, the lights in the kitchen area work ok, the low lights in the living room work ok. Switch on the living room high beams and the circuit blows. As I mentioned in my earlier thing, all the overheads go off and the fan shuts off before the breaker goes. I'm going to check the continuity on the switch tonight before I do the rest of the stuff. DH.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion on the blank switch. Didn't think of that. I'll try it. should work.

DH>
I misread the post and thought the blank had a switch in it, but there wasn't a switch there I gather. You could put a switch there and divide the functions, or get another dual purpose switch to replace the faulty one.

Gene
Old 08-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #12
PopHetzler

2003 34' Classic S/O
Troy , Ohio
Gene, you read it right. I have a switch in the 4th slot. Found some new problems last night. None of the wires match the wiring diagram nor do they operate like the electrical schematic would indicate. Circuit goes off, radio stays on with reading lights on too. Found two disconnect wires with taped ends that were in the picture at some point in time. Red/white and Brown. 14V in the brown. Checked continuity to the bulbs on high and low and there's something grounding them all together even though the low ones don't come on. Taped up the stuff that worked and called it a day.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I think the problem starts with the previous owner making some "interesting" wiring decisions. This requires discovering their "thought" processes and once translated, hopefully, it will become clear. Think how much you are learning.

Gene
Old 08-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
How do you remove these rocker switches???? The one for the lights over the couch started blinking or fading when turned on and now it wont work on brite or dim. I
have been using the bullet lights and the galley light. I need to get the switches out so I can test to find the problem Thanks Kay
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light switche