Old 05-29-2018, 12:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Petaluma , California
Right blinker and brake light not working,1995 Sovereign

As title states, the right side blinker and brake light are not working on my 1995 Sovereign. The right side light bulb lights up when we turn on the head lights.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I've already replaced the 7 way plug that connects to tow vehicle (it was old and corroded), but that didn't fix my problem unfortunately!

I checked my tow vehicle (2017 Tundra) and it appears all fuses are good.

Thanks for the help!

P.S. I do have the original schematics which help a little but I don't know where I should start working on this issue.

P.S.S. I have already replaced bulb a few times to rule that out. Only one of the filaments inside the bulb light up (when I turn on head lights).
cgseanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Spray the connections with electronic cleaner.

If that does not work, jump the 7 way with a 12 v hot wire in the corresponding plug position and see if the filament lights.

Do the same thing in the tv side of the connector with a test light and see if you get power.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgseanp View Post

P.S.S. I have already replaced bulb a few times to rule that out. Only one of the filaments inside the bulb light up (when I turn on head lights).

The one filament is supposed to light with headlights, the other is your turn signal and brake light. Look inside the socket. Sometimes the contact gets bent down or worn down and doesn't make contact with the bulb. Otherwise you have a bad connection somewhere in that one wire. Get a 7-way tester, a plug with LEDs, and make sure the problem is in the trailer, not the tow vehicle.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:25 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Petaluma , California
Thanks for replies! Ill report later tonight if I figure anything out.

I forgot to mention earlier. Yesterday, I pulled off the rear light (well as far as I could with it connected), and I could only see 2 wires connected(white and black). The right blinker is brown, should I see that connected as well?

I pulled the left side which works properly and I could still only see 2 wires (white and black), so that tells me its probably normal, but can someone explain why Im not seeing the proper color wires that correspond to the blinker/break lights?
Old 05-29-2018, 02:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
It is possible that you are seeing the two wires, one for the tail light function, the other for the turn/brake light function, and the third connection, to ground, is made through the body of the light assembly to the sheet metal/frame.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:55 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Petaluma , California
Update

Quick update, I was checking power at the 12v wires coming into the trailer and there is no power coming from the brown wire, which is the right blinker wire.. I also checked the power at the lights and only one of the prongs is powered (the running light one). So, Im assuming this means either theirs a problem with my TV power, or theres an issue with the brown line coming from plug to inside airstream.?
Old 05-30-2018, 10:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Lots of good advice above. I, too, drive a current series Tundra. I occasionally lose the right turn signal. For me, the issue is that the 7 pin connector door on the Tundra has a tab that locks in the connector on the pigtail from the trailer. It tends to push down the side away from.... wait for it... the connection for the right turn signal. That sometimes bends the pigtail just enough to break the connection. To see if that's your problem, have someone hold the pigtail connection firmly and perpendicular to the truck's connector. If the turn signal works you at least know what the cause of the outage is. I've become accustomed to making sure the connector is seated well and squarely before setting out. I try to remember to check at each stop, too. If my problem ever gets worse, I plan to ziptie a small square item (like a galvanized corner bracket ) to keep the trailer's connector square to the truck.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:11 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Petaluma , California
update again

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
Lots of good advice above. I, too, drive a current series Tundra. I occasionally lose the right turn signal. For me, the issue is that the 7 pin connector door on the Tundra has a tab that locks in the connector on the pigtail from the trailer. It tends to push down the side away from.... wait for it... the connection for the right turn signal. That sometimes bends the pigtail just enough to break the connection. To see if that's your problem, have someone hold the pigtail connection firmly and perpendicular to the truck's connector. If the turn signal works you at least know what the cause of the outage is. I've become accustomed to making sure the connector is seated well and squarely before setting out. I try to remember to check at each stop, too. If my problem ever gets worse, I plan to ziptie a small square item (like a galvanized corner bracket ) to keep the trailer's connector square to the truck.
Thanks. Mine seemed to have the same issue and I was able to verify there is power going to the brown (right side flasher/brake) wire.

The bad news is that there still is no power going to the right side brake lights. So now I am out of ideas.. I tried to trace the wires just to see if there was some obvious damage or break to the brown wire, but I can't find anything.

How would I access the inside of the tail lights to check out the wire situation?
Old 05-30-2018, 06:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Did you check the 7 way plug on the Tundra to make sure you have voltage?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:12 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Petaluma , California
Ya, there is power at the 7 way plug on my truck.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Did you try putting a jumper between the + battery pin and the right turn signal pin on the umbilical cord plug on the coach?
Is the tail light bulb a separate bulb from the brake light bulb?
Old 05-31-2018, 07:53 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Did you try putting a jumper between the + battery pin and the right turn signal pin on the umbilical cord plug on the coach?
Is the tail light bulb a separate bulb from the brake light bulb?
First of all, thanks for the help.
I have not attempted that. It just hit me what that means actually, and I will try when I get home. I have confirmed there is power at the 7 pin plug on my truck.

It is a dual filament light bulb. The light bulb works as running lights on the smaller filament, but the larger filament doesnt light up when I hit brakes or use blinker.

One other thing is there are 2 separate brake lights/flashers on each side, and both dont work.

Can this be a ground issue? Even considering the light bulb works as a running light but not as a flasher/brake light?
Old 05-31-2018, 07:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Probably not a ground issue since the tail light works.
Along with the fact the other fixture has the same problem. No power +12 volts
Old 05-31-2018, 07:47 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Probably not a ground issue since the tail light works.
Along with the fact the other fixture has the same problem. No power +12 volts
Well I connected battery directly to wire that controls right side flashers and still no power at the actual light fixtures. I did same thing to left side flashers just to make sure I was doing right thing and they lit right up.

Am I outta options?😬
Old 05-31-2018, 08:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgseanp View Post
Well I connected battery directly to wire that controls right side flashers and still no power at the actual light fixtures. I did same thing to left side flashers just to make sure I was doing right thing and they lit right up.

Am I outta options?��
Not at all, you can stick a pin into the wire right at the tail light and check for power there. If no, replace the wire from the trailer connector to the tail light. If yes replace the lamp socket. To seal up the pin hole apply a dab of silicone.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:38 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
Not at all, you can stick a pin into the wire right at the tail light and check for power there. If no, replace the wire from the trailer connector to the tail light. If yes replace the lamp socket. To seal up the pin hole apply a dab of silicone.
So after hours and hours of troubleshooting, I decided to see what would happen if I ran a ground to the lights while powered up. I made a long jumper and connected at ground near battery and connected to airstream skin next to lights. When I did this, I was able to get about 2.5v reading at both right blinkers! Not sure if my jumper ground caused this or if it was just a coincidence, but I hadnt been able to get any power at all up until this point at the right side flasher/brake lights.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:56 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
I will check the power at the wire, I've already checked at light and no power but I guess the light socket could be bad.. and, I'm not sure how to replace the wire considering it seems to run between the wall panels and there is no access from the outside! Otherwise, I would just change the wire now and be done with it.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:51 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Petaluma , California
Big update! Well Im my opinion

As recommended, I tested power at tail light wire (vs testing power at light socket), and the wire is receiving about 2-3V of power! This is with a 12v power supply connected to the other end of the corresponding wire. So, 12 going in, 2-3 coming out.

Now, there are 2 brake lights on right side. At the the further inward brake light, that wire is receiving about .5-1V LESS than the far outward brake light.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
I think you have a bad ground connection at the socket or behind the light where you can't see it. With a bad ground connection the 12 volt power can feed through the other lamps to ground, in essence a series circuit. The voltage will divide among the lamps and the voltage at any one lamp will be proportional to it's resistance.

Tags
sovereign