Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2021, 05:43 PM   #1

2008 25' International
Poulsbo , Washington
Replace Incandescent Marker Lights with LED Marker Lights

I recently purchased a 2008 International FB and noticed that the side marker lights on one side (Amber and Red) didn't work. When I pulled the covers (Lenses) off the sockets were badly rusted so, I needed to replace them and thought I would upgrade from bulbs to LEDs. The screws holding the old lights on were badly rusted so I cut the heads off with my Dremel tool. I read a post on this forum about replacing marker lights and thought I was good to go.

I followed the steps in the post and all went well until I went to push the last little bit of wire in and noticed that the wires come through the base in a different location than they do on older marker lights that take a bulb. It's off by about an inch.

Has anyone else run in to this problem and what was the solution? Extra Silicone around the base of the light? Go back to the bulb style marker lights?
Fwrandall55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:34 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Harrisburg , Oregon
Since the sockets are rusty, you'll need to replace the whole units. There are now solid state clearance lights that use LED's, with no provision for incandescent light bulbs. The better ones are potted and are thus very thoroughly waterproofed. Check around online for those, such as on eBay, Amazon, and truck and trailer accessory web sites.

Or, you can just replace the few that are rusted with new ones that take 1157 bulbs, and then put in LED bulbs. That's a viable and time tested way too.

Good luck,
Scott
skucera is offline   Reply With Quote