Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2003, 07:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Rear Indicator Lights

Can anyone tell me how the upper three indicator lights are wired in on a 2000 Excella? I've checked the ground on all three lights and it's good. It appears that the positive side is dead. I've been hesitant to remove the light bases from the trailer shell because of the lousy weather we've been having. Before I do, I'd like to find out where the positive lead connects initially (--with respect to driver side, center, or curb side) and then how the other lights are connected thereto. Incidentally, the 2000 Excella 30 does not have rear upper clearance lights. This probably means that the positive lead "dead ends" at the upper three lights. I can't imagine any good professional way to rewire these lights if the positive is dead. Is there any chance that the positive originates behind one of the rear tail lights - and is within reach to check the connection?

Many thanks,

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 06:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
If I can't fix the indicator lights correctly, one of the solutions I've been considering, for the rare times we may have to drive at night, is to run a simple exterior "jumper" from the license plate light to the indicator lights. I would install a single female wire connector at each location on a short lead. When it wasn't needed the "jumper" would just be stored away. It would only take a minute or two to hook up. Not pretty - but better than opening up the shell on the interior to get at the wiring.

Does this sound like a workable solution?

Old 11-02-2003, 07:07 AM   #3
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Wiring

It has been my experience that indicator lights are typically blown even when you dont think so. I am certain that you have already verified this so, the wires all come together at the rear of storage box or control panel in the forward section of the trailer.

They are wire nutted together behind the panel.

But before you head into that direction verify that you dont have rusted screws and or contacts in the lights themselves.

I cant count the times that a ground connection wore me out on a DC circuit.

Do any other indicators light? such as the side indicators or running lights?

Hang in there.
Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 07:09 AM   #4
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Oops

My bust, I just noticed that you are working on the rear lights and not the front, Disregard my last post. Sorry.

Do you have rear bath or middle bath?
Old 11-02-2003, 07:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Smiley:

I've got the mid-bath. I know what you mean about corroding light sockets. With my last Winnebago motorhome I had to wiggle at least three clearance lights to get them to work before each trip!

One other possibility, if I can't find the wire - or if it's there but dead, is to run a permanent jumper on the interior of the trailer from the license plate light, via the rear cabinetry, after drilling from the outside through the inside skin behind the light fixtures. It's a question of lesser evils!

For the record, as I mentioned in my first post, I still haven't pulled an indicator light to check for power on the positive lead. I was just trying to find out which light to pull first to check - if anybody knows the answer.

Old 11-03-2003, 06:13 AM   #6
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Maybe an indication

not certain but I know that my taillights are daisy chained from streetside to curbside meaning that there are not connections that you cannot get to. You do have to remove the taillight assembly though.

As for indicator lights, the forward indicator lights are all wired to a common wirenut which is located behind the center indicator light.

I know this is not much help but maybe give you an idea of where to look.

I can thelp but think that your rear indicator ligths are daisy chained from one of the running light on the tail light assembly.

Do you have service or owners manual. there is often a wiring schematic in the owners manual.

Smily
Old 11-03-2003, 07:39 AM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
If you have the rear twins and a roof locker you may get access to the wiring thru the back of the roof locker.

Just a SWAG on my part
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 02:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Rear Locker

There's a cabinet over the queen bed too - but it's my understanding that the wiring is between the inner and outer shell. On the other hand, the cabinetry does provide a way to hide the wiring if I do a jump from the license plate or tailight assembly to the indicator lights.