Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
lascassas_camper

1975 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Gatlinburg , Tennessee
Porch light

I can't seem to get my outside porch light to work. I replaced the whole exterior part, housing, bulb, bulb holder and all. The switch by the door appears to be "on". Theres no current to the light. All the other lights 12/110 seem to be working correctly. Any thoughts?
Apache_Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:43 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache_Camp View Post
The switch by the door appears to be "on". Theres no current to the light.
A/C,

Could be a number of things. First thing I'd do is test the circuit to see if there actually is power to and from the switch. Could be a bad switch, then I'd look at the bulb and maybe the ground.

Best of luck,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
I agree with Kevin. Start on the back side of the switch to make sure the power is getting that far. If it is to the switch, then check the "out" side of the switch. If you have power there as well, you know it's the wire to the fixture. I don't know if the porch light has the connection inside the wall by the light (as the running lights do)
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I've had to replace 2 of those switches in my '73. After a while, they just stop working...probably the contacts corrode, or something. anyway, there's no taking them apart to see what's wrong inside. and they don't make an exact replacement for the originals, either.

anyway, nobody said it yet, so I will: don't forget to check the fuses, first.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
Helena , Montana
Send a message via AIM to MontanaArgy Send a message via Yahoo to MontanaArgy
Mee too!

I am having the same problem with my porch light too. I was even showing 12+ volts and the light wouldn't light. Finally had wires (both pink) pulled as far as they would go, traced up to the vent and to the front reading lights. Get 12V but not enough amperage to light a bulb - tough to figure. I can run 12 volts from somewhere else to the switch and the light works. The joint has apparently gone bad somewhere I can't reach it. I tried threading a new wire in, and just couldn't get anything to quite connect where I could get a wire hooked to it to pull. I finally put it all back together for now. May have to surface mount a new wire on the inside wall and put one of those wire covers on it unless I can figure out how to get another source of power there. Otherwise have to pull the interior skin, don't want to do that!

Otherwise may just put one of those LED self powered units there for now. I really miss the porch light!

I would suggest you run a good source of 12v to the switch and see if that doesn't make your light work, just to see if it is a corroded high resistance connection.

By the way, take those switches which stop working and soak them in alcohol or similar overnight, it usually cleans them out and they are good as new.
MontanaArgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
lascassas_camper

1975 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Gatlinburg , Tennessee
My switch had been painted over and needed replacing anyway, so I ordered 2 off ebay. The fit perfectly and had the same style clips on the back as my Argosy. Unfortunately my Univolt just bit the dust, so i haven't had a chance to see if it fixed the problem yet.

*1995 Palamino Mustang Popup Camper

*1996 Buick RM Wagon 5.7L V8, AT/OD, tow pkge, coil over shocks, hitch, brake box, cooler.

*Good Sam Club Life Member
Old 09-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #7
lascassas_camper

1975 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Gatlinburg , Tennessee
Try these, they fit perfectly in my Argosy.

2 on-off RV Light Switch Motor Home Camper Marine 12 v:eBay Motors (item 370225162730 end time Oct-03-09 10:34:19 PDT)

*1995 Palamino Mustang Popup Camper

*1996 Buick RM Wagon 5.7L V8, AT/OD, tow pkge, coil over shocks, hitch, brake box, cooler.

*Good Sam Club Life Member
Old 07-19-2020, 10:00 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2006 22' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Hey Everyone -- Any updates on this conversation? My patio light is not working either and we are checking all the easy to get to stuff without success. We did check all the fuses, not knowing which fuse was the one for that light. Is there a "fuse id" diagram anywhere? I'd love to know about it. Are there fuses stashed anywhere besides under the one dinette bench? Thanks so much. All ideas/useful experience are welcome.
Rubygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:37 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Ashland , Wisconsin
I thought my light wasn’t working and this weekend my granddaughter was trying it out and she flipped the switch a few times then put it half way and it turned on!
MorrStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:02 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2006 22' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Porch light repaired

Fortunately, I have a friend who was determined to fix that porch light. It turned out it was a problem with the ground wire. I believe he simply attached it to a screw attaching the fixture to the trailer and ... it worked. We read all the suggestions in this thread and appreciated the suggestions. Thanks all.
Rubygal is offline   Reply With Quote