Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
1975 26' Argosy 26
beaverton , Oregon
Only half of running lights working

We have a 65 31ft soverign, only half of the runing lights are currently working. The front 3 and front corners will not work but all others work fine. I pulled them all out and wires seem to be in good condition. Does anyone have thoughts on how to trace the source wire for the power for the front portion of the trailer? The lights all seem to be somewhat daisychained together, help I am losing my MIND!

Thanks
gmehal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Check your umbilical connection at the front of the trailer, it'll look good but not good contact. That age might also have a worked over older 6 prong into 7 prong plug at the newer tow vehicle that gets wishy. (Been there, done that.) Got the umbilical plug fixed up and those other running lights started to work, majic.
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:12 PM   #3
Steven and Susan

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Carmel , California
Also, pull your bulbs out and scrub the contacts well with emory cloth or fine sand paper. They get corroded easily.
ajanib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Welcome to the forum.

I had a smiliar issue with my old 56 Caravanner. You could have a short in your system. Have you recently installed anything new in your Airstream? The PO of the Caravanner had placed screws into the wall the barely pinched a wire shorting it.

I assume you checked the bulbs for burn out

Steve
Old 02-18-2008, 08:39 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Remove the lense and check with a voltmeter or 12v test light. There is only one wire to each light. It comes through the base. Touch one test lead to it and one to the aluminum skin. Check all 5 lights this way. If you get no reading (or test light) the problem is somewhere else. The front clearance lights are wired seperately from the rear. There is a junction box somewhere in the front of your trailer. If it's '68 or older, there is a "patch" under the right front corner of the underbelly that covers the connection to the tow vehicle cord. If it's '69 or newer, the junction box is usually in the front wall underneath the couch. In all cases the green wire is for clearance lights. I suspect there is a loose wire in this junction box. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
your airstream brother

1967 30' Sovereign
millen , Georgia
the park wire runs around the trailer,if the wire breaks,all the lights after the break stops working.mine was at the pass wheels (rat?) eat the wire in two....hard to do,but follow the wire along testing for voltage....
TOW VEHC 02 TAHOE 5.3 4X4 AIR REAR SUSPENSION
garyk1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:03 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Just re-read your post and realized your trailer is a '65. Remove the underbelly patch (probably just ahead of the step) and you'll find a rat's nest of wires connected with wire nuts. Sort out the colors. There should be two green wires: one for the front clearance lights and one for the rear clearance lights and tail lights. You'll probably find all sorts of dirt, shredded insulation, and who knows what else in there! Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Here are a couple of earlier threads that may be of help:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...hts-37047.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...tml#post214079

Lynn
Old 02-19-2008, 09:35 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
1975 26' Argosy 26
beaverton , Oregon
Wow thanks for the informative replies. I will look over these areas over the next few days and try and find the junction box. There is a junction box cover next to the door side towards the front that I will check, if that's not it I am going under! Will report back as to my findings.

Also it would seem that the lights would be daisy chained one to the other in sequence, my front ones in some cases have 2 wires linking each one together, more than seems necessary and the wire is a newer looking darker more flexable green. Wonder if the PO did some hacking?

Thanks again everyone
Old 03-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
1975 26' Argosy 26
beaverton , Oregon
figured it out folks, sure enouh the green wires that run down the front inner skin passed through a hole in the wood floor. When I ripped out the roted wood floor in the front and pulled it out it ripped the wires in two. found them after some digging around and were barely visable. Haven't tried hooking them back up yet but I am sure this is the problem.

Thanks all for your help
Old 03-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
scottsdale , Arizona
I have a similar problem with my 1996 34 Excella and need help, except I have no running lights at all. Back up, signal, brake lights all okay. Tried trailer plug on two different tow plugs, so know it is not the tow vechicle. Any easy way to test the trailer plug to see if problem is there. Did replace a side running light which was not working but connected white to white and black to black with "new butt connetors". Hate to spent big $ for something that might be simple.
Arizona Guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmehal
We have a 65 31ft soverign, only half of the runing lights are currently working. The front 3 and front corners will not work but all others work fine. I pulled them all out and wires seem to be in good condition. Does anyone have thoughts on how to trace the source wire for the power for the front portion of the trailer? The lights all seem to be somewhat daisychained together, help I am losing my MIND!

Thanks
I had the same problem on a 2005, the branch circuit which fed the front lights had disconnected. If all the lights are out then I would verify no power to them then look for the connection from the power bus or wiring harness. More than likely they are all wired together in parallel so if one burns out the rest will stay on, as always check your grounds. Don't lose your mind just start tracing wires, get a good flashlight and take your time you will be surprised at how much you will learn and the knowledge will come back to help you when you least expect it. I may even want to take a few notes and add to your trailer note book.

Look on the bright side if you have to have running lights out I feel it is better to have the fronts out than the back. I traveled about 500 miles at night with mine out.

Glad you found the problem, I should have read the entire thread.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #13

1967 26' Overlander
Simpsonville , South Carolina
Running light question

Hey I have the same problem with my 67 Overlander. How is the green wire for the front running lights routed, that is, where do I look to find the lead so I came chase the problem. My interior panels have not been removed. I only have one green lead connecting to my pig-tail.

Thanks, Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmehal View Post
figured it out folks, sure enouh the green wires that run down the front inner skin passed through a hole in the wood floor. When I ripped out the roted wood floor in the front and pulled it out it ripped the wires in two. found them after some digging around and were barely visable. Haven't tried hooking them back up yet but I am sure this is the problem.

Thanks all for your help
TCHANNEL is offline   Reply With Quote