Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2007, 08:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Conover , Ohio
no back up lights

While I have my 66 Overlander torn apart, I noticed that I have a black wire at the rear of the trailer that is for back-up lamps. The wire is just taped off with nowhere to go. Was this an option, or just not common in 66? The outer tail lamp/brake/signal is the only one that is functional. The inner is either a fake, or simply a reflector. Is this where the backup lamp should go if I make the upgrade, or does it go somewhere else on the body? Does anyone have a pic of a back-up lamp on an older Overlander?

Thanks for all the help. This project wouldn't have got off the ground without all the help this forum has given me. Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aaatail.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	49702  
air66stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
If you look at various photos on the Vintage Airstream site it looks like 1967 was the first year for backup lights. Here's the rear of a 67 Overlander with the backups mounted above the bumper.

Vintage Airstream Home

Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by air66stream
While I have my 66 Overlander torn apart, I noticed that I have a black wire at the rear of the trailer that is for back-up lamps. The wire is just taped off with nowhere to go. Was this an option, or just not common in 66? The outer tail lamp/brake/signal is the only one that is functional. The inner is either a fake, or simply a reflector. Is this where the backup lamp should go if I make the upgrade, or does it go somewhere else on the body? Does anyone have a pic of a back-up lamp on an older Overlander?

Thanks for all the help. This project wouldn't have got off the ground without all the help this forum has given me. Tom
The back up lights were an option.

A couple of dealers have the original back up light assemblies.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I have the back up lights on my 66 Safari and they are just above the bumper, like the photo above. I didn't realize they were an option.

When I first purchased my Airstream, one of them didn't work. I was able to get the local service department at my Airstream dealer to install a new one. Works fine now.

The "light" to the inside of the brake lights is a reflector on mine.

Steve
centennialman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you are considering putting back up lights on your trailer and don't want to distroy to original look of the rear and have a brighter light consider putting lights in the fender well. There they are much more effective because you can install a very bright light and they are located where you need to light, At the Axles.

See the picture below.

http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...?i=17603&c=507

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote