Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Moving from center lights to multiple puck lights

It has appeared from the archives that those with puck lights upgrade to led for their pucks, but what about those with the 3 center ceiling lights that have low/high/off? I assume it would necessary to replace the center panel to cover all the old fixture locations as well rewire the lights. Has anyone tried this as a weekend project or is it simply too involved?
mikeandnora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Another issue for some years is that the switch has quite a long shaft in order to get through the cover.

Not obvious how to leave the vent functioning if you remove the cover for another style of lighting...
Old 02-06-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
F&F you can put LED's right in to those fixtures. There are several bulb type LED's that will fit. You can also use the pad style as well.
1156 Warm White 13 SMD LED Cluster Light B1156SMD13WW [B1156SMD13WW] - $11.95 : LEDs 4, Recreational Vehicles

Bright White Multi Purpose Pad 1156P40x50BW [1156P40x50BW] - $14.95 : LEDs 4, Recreational Vehicles
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
That may be the best thing to do. Thanks for the links. It would be nice to get away from the single overhead light, but it's probably not worth the work since it looks to be far more involved than doing it in a house.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:07 AM   #5
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Our existing center fixtures are cracked, the switches are worn out and the light is unpleasant.

One of the modifications we're considering is replacing the center lights with indirect LED lighting that washes the ceiling. This would provide less light, so we'd add more LED task or wall lighting around the perimeter of the trailer space...

For fixtures, I'm thinking about mounting warm white LED strip lights behind pieces of varnished 1/8" birch that's curved to match the trailer ceiling, mounted about 3/4" inch below the ceiling. Some brushed aluminum details wouldn't be out of place, either.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
That's Inline with what we are thinking because our fixtures are in pretty bad shape as well. The light strips seem like the perfect solution.

I'm wondering if the initial answer is to completely replace the center ceiling piece so that I access the wiring for a rewire and can deal with the holes from the old fixtures.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishandfly View Post
I'm wondering if the initial answer is to completely replace the center ceiling piece so that I access the wiring for a rewire and can deal with the holes from the old fixtures.
That's what we're doing... one of ours was completely non-functional, so I pulled it. Haven't replaced it yet, but sometime this spring. Need to get the shower done first!

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Hey fishandfly.... I was just going through some airstream pics that I'd saved on my puter and found this: photo of a conversion with a fantastic fan and a DIY light box. don't know why the puck lights couldn't be secured to the center panel itself - or recessed into it...

Anyway, I thought the additional photos might give you an idea of what it looks like after removing the plastic lighting/vent cover.

Laura

I am fairly certain these saved pics are from members on this forum. Hope none mind that I'm reposting them....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lighting IMG_0293.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	705.3 KB
ID:	121942   Click image for larger version

Name:	8-med.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	121943  

Click image for larger version

Name:	9-med.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	121944   Click image for larger version

Name:	10-med.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	121945  

funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
If you want to replace your center lights with puck lights (puck LEDs, if you wish), it is actually pretty simple to do. Take a look at my blog. I put the Fantastic Fan vents in place of the existing center light holes and ran new puck lights throughout. Mine use halogen bulbs, but are still pulling the same wattage as the old center fixtures.

Undo the rivets on the ceiling and side walls to loosen the skins and phish your wire to where you want your lights.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Kyle nice job on the puck lights and fantastic fan! Do you notice an excess amount of heat from your halogen bulbs? Where did you find them? Are you running your halogen pucks off the wiring to the old bulbs that were around the original fans? Thanks!

Bob
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
Kyle nice job on the puck lights and fantastic fan! Do you notice an excess amount of heat from your halogen bulbs? Where did you find them? Are you running your halogen pucks off the wiring to the old bulbs that were around the original fans? Thanks!

Bob

There is a little more heat coming off of them, but I wouldn't say an excessive amount. I bought them for $5 a each on ebay. Marine Discounts, I think was the seller. You can replace the bulbs in them with LEDs, if you want to spend the extra cash. These are the same ones that are in the newer Airstreams.

I did connect the lights to the same wiring as the center lights. Each fan/light combo as two power sources. I connected the Fantastic Fan to one and ran the puck lights off the other. I think each bulb in the center lights used 10 - 15 watts per bulb and each puck light uses the same wattage. They really make a difference. The interior is so bright now.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1989 excella, interior lights