Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Chilhowie , Virginia
Light replacement

1987 Sovereign. Time to replace exterior running/clearance lights. Is it worth the additional cost to go LED? If so, any good sources?
Hoobiedoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
The prices are really coming down on complete sealed marker lights. Led4rv.com has them for 8.49ea but my wife found them a couple of days ago for 5 something but I can't remember the site sorry. Google them.
Rob
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
I just bought five of them from Vintage Trailer Supply @$8.99 each:

LED Double Bullseye
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I would like to convert ours to LED at some point, but at the same time it's not really a circuit I need to save electricity on, so it's not my highest priority. While I'm waiting, the price gets cheaper and cheaper.

I were just installing them or had to replace them all anyway, I'd put LEDs in.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
LED4RV.COM is the place to go. (from personal experience) Dan understands electrical as related to LED's and stands behind what he sells. I had a question so I emailed him. I did not get an email back, I got a phone call. How many Internet stores do that?
I'm sure you could contact him with your questions before you buy.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:19 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Chilhowie , Virginia
Thanks everyone!
Hoobiedoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
A thought - going to LED is mainly to save amps. on the TT 12volt system. The running lights run off the TV 12volt system which gets it's amps from the TV alternator as you are running down the road. Why bother or spend the money?
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:12 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Hawk View Post
A thought - going to LED is mainly to save amps. on the TT 12volt system. The running lights run off the TV 12volt system which gets it's amps from the TV alternator as you are running down the road. Why bother or spend the money?
Because good ones are brighter, last longer, in the case of markers they can be had completely sealed, and in the case of brake/turn lights they are faster on/off which also makes them more attention-getting.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
RED light in rear of trailer, Sir do you know your rear light is out?
Its just a fix it TICKET Sir dont fret. (fix it ticket's in So Cal are now $ 125.00 court cost you know.) All lites are now LED's that will last longer than me.

Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:34 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
For what it is worth, wife has been rear ended and had two neck surgeries. I was rear ended last June. Still got a messed up right shoulder. Neck/upper back got pretty good but shoulder is still giving me a fit.

Far as I am concerned I am of the persuasion if they don't notice you they are gonna hit you thusly I want all the warning I can give them on the back end.

If the jerks will hit a parked fire engine with about six emergency vehicles blasting strobes going to H&G you can get an idea of the mentality you are dealing with.

My next move is to overlay the previous owners WBCC number with brilliant yellow/green 3M conspicuity tape for both day and night attention getting. I am going LED on tail, brake/turn and back up lights as well.

Will also put about two feet of the red/white tape on the back of the AC cover.

Recently I have seen some trailer marker ( 3 high center mount) that double as stop/turn signals on one of the big food delivery trucks. Looks like 36 LEDs in them and very good at getting your attention.

As well get you and wife one of those DOT brilliant yellow/green with white reflective vests the cops are wearing now and don't get out in traffic without it ! ! ! ! ! You can also get a wide brim Boonie hat same color.

I work a fair amount of traffic at wreck scenes at night and have been lucky so far (19 years). We are in a rural area and just as soon as I see a car approaching I give them five shots with my Streamlight Stinger (runs about $100.00) or a Streamlight Strion comes with two batts and home and vehicle charger. Also get a Streamlight Survivor (runs on 4AAs for hours and hours).

Also has strobe flash capability. At about a thousand yards I give them quick flashes and the bright lights come on immediately and I know they have seen me. I also carry a four foot fiberglass cane wrapped in red/blue/white reflective to direct traffic. It can also be seen at a thousand yards as I grip it in middle and rotate it like a fan.

At night if you are broke down turn off headlights and leave flashers on. Your headlights will blind oncoming traffic and may divert a vehicle into yours.

Bottom line think, "They don't see me, they don't see me, they don't see me."
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
As well get you and wife one of those DOT brilliant yellow/green with white reflective vests the cops are wearing now and don't get out in traffic without it ! ! ! ! !
Preaching to the choir. I have one of those vests in each of my vehicles, ever since a coworker was run over (hit-and-run, by the way) alongside I-20 while changing a tire.

Side note, the length on the vests is driven by ANSI/ISEA 107-2010 requirements for the total square inches of reflective material and background color; plus short vests are actually preferred by construction workers who have to wear tool belts (vest isn't in the way of the belt). The vests aren't meant to be stylish or fashionable, just highly visible. So don't expect them to be tailored like a three-piece-suit vest.

Side note on the other side, they also make other clothing that meets ANSI/ISEA 107-2010 requirements. So you might want to get a reflective T-shirt instead if you want something long enough to reach your hips.

Get some for your dog while you're at it…
Old 01-26-2014, 07:27 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Protagonist, Sorry about your friend. We have had two cops killed at scenes (I wasn't at either) from jerks blasting through 10,000 CP of strobes going here in last several years.

I forgot to add when possible we (fire dept) will close road down for several hours and establish road blocks up to several miles in each direction to divert traffic around and they don't even come through our scenes and avoids lines backing up as well.

Also be extremely leary of topping a hill and seeing a wreck on defilade side. Stop and get off road way back from the scene as such conditions cause lots of wrecks especially on interstate routes.

Haven't had to do it yet but my plan from now on is pull off quickly, hit the flashers as close to the top of the hill as I can and if I have the AS hooked up I will go back to bathroom and hook up my fire dept wigwag red lights in the 12V recepticle over the sink and aim it out the back window.

We are also told our insurance won't pay off if we get hit and don't have on a DOT approved vest.

I have also seen reflective trousers (same colors) and just found out the official name of the color appears to be NEON GREEN.

I have had a policy for years going through a scene to slow down to no more than 10 MPH and have my flashers on as well and watching for all movements.

We all know from pulling our trailers we have to have a different mind set because when you hook to a AS you had better be ON YOUR GAME.

Brings to mind another warning I got from a guy I met from Canada who comes to the states and hooks up new trailers and pulls them back and delivers them all over Canada.

His advice was to never tow a trailer faster than 60 MPH as that is about as fast as you can maneuver. He said the other trailer haulers rag him on CB about going so slow and they blew past him at 70MPH for better and he has found them rolled or wrecked miles down the road. He drives about 90,000 to 115,000 miles per year and will tow with nothing less than a 1 Ton Dually.

A couple weeks ago I stopped by a dealership here and he had a 77 Sovereign on his lot and it was gone. I was interested in it and he said the guy that bought it hit the road with it the next day and rolled it and his tow vehicle as he had no experience towing heavy trailers.

One other interesting note. I changed out the dome interior light on 2007 GMC 2500HD and installed two BLUE LED panel lights. I had to solder wires together to rig two sets. Makes for a very bright internally lit cab at night and the best part is the Colors BLUE, RED OR GREEN on DO NOT destroy night vision like the white lights do. I got the panels on ebay and they have 3M sticky tape adaptor to use the GMC recepticle thusly one panel is directed left and the other right. Two of them delivered were like $5.00 and we like them very much.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:01 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
LED clearance lights as well as tail lights, are brighter in the day light than the regular incandescents are at night.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:56 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We don't currently have led clearance lights or tail lights but I'm going to change them out on my current 86-32 that I am remodeling. Just like Andy said they are brighter. Also, they are cooler and in my case less demand on the electrical system and converter. A lot of us in our camping group like to run the clearance and tail lights all night while we are camping just for a fun effect. I made up a jumper with a female connector and plug it into the 7 pin connector. Then there will be no bulbs to change out anymore. They're great!

Rob
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:10 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
Bottom line think, "They don't see me, they don't see me, they don't see me."
In my experience, it's because they weren't looking, something that no light will fix. I've been rear-ended twice (neither one as serious as yours - both were low speed impacts), and both times it was pretty clearly a case of doing something else while they were supposed to be driving, while I sat still with my foot on the brakes and the brake lights on... at a red light, in an urban area. Inexcusable.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:21 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Skatiero, excellent idea about leaving the running lights on all night in camp grounds. Just today I got in some LED running lights in aluminum housings which I think will fit inside the step light cover for outside night light.

Skater, yes I have been rear ended three other times before the "big one" that got me which gave me a sore neck for a few days but comparision wise the pain from them was about 5% of what this one caused. I have read low speed impacts make up 80% of rear endings. My shoulder is still shutting me down (if I am not careful) 7 months later and the healing is very slow which they told me would be.

Since the "big one" with me we have been rear ended two more times (both times in the same parking lot) but since then we are a little more prepared. I had seen shock absorbing trailer hitch advertisement before and did some research and they also have something called a http://sparebumper.com/ and I got one and it stays in the Durango receiver hitch unless I have a utility trailer hooked to it.

I applied neon green 3M reflective to it. Both the most recent impacts have not had the sudden impact but more of a push. Was thinking of getting another for the 2500HD but ran up on a heavy duty extended pintle hook at flea market that a excellent welder had assembled to pull farm wagons.

I have had several situations where I needed a place to hook a tow strap/log chain to in order to pull folks out of ditches and a pintle hook is idea for such. We have situations where we need to stabilize a vehicle and it is quicker and easier to utilize a POV rather than reposition a pumper as a tie off point if the weight of the pumper is not needed.

It is also least long enough to get through radiator, coolers etc before they get to the truck.

I agree most rear ends are not paying attention. Lady that tagged me (I think) was turned around talking to grand younguns in back seat. I have seen a number of women drivers turned all the way around looking at folks while talking to them while driving.