Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2005, 02:49 PM   #1

2003 22' International
Seattle , Washington
LED Tail Light Problem

Hi All--

I'm sorry if this is a repost--my last one appears not to have gone through.

I am having an issue with the LED tail lights on my 2003 Int'l CCD "pulsing" when hooked up to my 2005 Land Rover LR3 with factory wiring harness. The "pulse" is fainter and faster than a hazard light display. It appears whether the brake controller is attached or not.

Land Rover insists it is not the problem. When an LED monitor is attached to the Land Rover and it shows the same pulse. The brake-contral installer explained that it might be a signal the Land Rover sends to ensure the tail lights on the trailer are working, and that the LEDs are so sensitive they are picking it up and illuminating. He suggested replacing the LEDs with traditional bulb tail lights, which I'd rather not do, and also discouraged rewiring the Land Rover with an aftermarket wiring harness.

Any suggestions? Thanks so much, Bill.
wdkueser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 05:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Most of the problems seen with LED's are due to systems that are older than you LR. These symptoms are generally due to lack of draw or resistance in the LED units.
If I read your post correctly this is you tail lights not your turn signals, correct?
I'll be interested to see how this pans out for you as I'm currently working on an LED solution for the classics that are so far being ignored by AS who have made available a retro fit that is too big for our housings.
Keep us informed please.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 12:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
WD,

Sounds like you're getting the run-around from Land Rover, especially considering that the pulses are present at the plug on the LR. I think that you are getting some type of feed-back thru the trailer and you need to isolate this. You might need to change your converter to a Hoppy or similar unit that has 6-in and 4-out. They are independently connected to the vehicle battery and usually will solve this problem. I just used one in a 2004 Dodge Spriner van that was doing the same thing and the problem went away with the Hoppe. BTW, the part # I used for this was 46255.

Good Luck!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:29 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Pulsing Lights

Hey there finally a ? that I can answer.
LR has incorperated this pulse inthe tail and stop lights as a safety factor.
They seem to beleive that it helps there lights to be seen better. It will show up on LEDs because they are so quick to respond to voltage.
The solution consists of adding small .5mfd (microfared) capacitors into your trailer wireing harness. sorry to be the bearer of bad news but... it is fixable.
Good luck. John
Old 02-17-2006, 05:07 PM   #5

2006 19' International CCD
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Having same problem

We are having the same problem - also with a Range Rover. We've been told this also happens with other European SUVs. No solution as yet.
tfkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:59 AM   #6

2006 19' International CCD
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Airstream CCD 19' ('06) + Range Rover HSE ('03)

Correction to our posting of yesterday... Our problem is with turn signals and emergency flashers, only. They flash at a higher rate of speed than normal. It happens with or without the brake controller attached and with or without lights turned on. Our Rover has LED tail lights and the Airstream has LED tail lights.

We pull 4 and 5 pin boat trailers with the same vehicle, but neither has LED lights, and we have no problem with either kind of trailer.

We are talking with Airstream quality assurance manager and our Rover dealer is being responsive, but neither has yet figured out a solution.
tfkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 03:54 PM   #7

2006 22' International CCD
Northridge , California
Same Problem

I was towing with a Land Rover LR3 and the tail lights on my Airstream Safari would strobe. I just traded in the LR3 and Got the Range Rover Sport. Same Problem. I read the reply regarding adding the capacitor. Could you give me more details as to what I should tell the Range Rover people, or my hitch professional. thank you in advance.
john
JohnnyAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 06:58 PM   #8
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Lights

Does the land rover hook up to a computer at the dealer to check and see if there are any faults in your system?Do you have a hitch control module in the 05 land rovers.I have a VW Touareg and mine started pulsating and my turn signal lights stopped working and my brake light stopped as well.Come to find out I had 6 faults in my hitch module and the circuits were open causing the failure.I know these 2 vehicles are very different but mabey there is something that could have the same similarities.I would definently check to see if there is a TSB on this as well since someone else is having the problems.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote