Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2009, 08:37 AM   #141
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Charlie, I think the Superbright website tells you the lumens for each bulb they sell. I don't know how many lumens the incandescents are but that info is just a Google away. LED's are generally less bright than incandescents, but we have found them bright enough for normal use. I think I read LED's take about 10-15% of the power of incandescents and halogens are something like 60% of incandescent bulbs, but my memory isn't what it used to be.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:09 PM   #142
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Gene:

Are your replacement bulbs on a flat 2 dimensional surface or on a 360 degree spherical surface with leds facing every direction? I think I could see advantages to both but I haven't compared the 2 styles. The bulbs I'm leaning toward are 3W spherical leds with 36 super bright white leds on each bulb. What is the led count on the bulbs that you're referring to?
Charlie
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #143
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Charlie, the ones that replace the incandescent bulbs are on a flat rectangle, a card. The plug that goes into the socket is a standard incandescent style base for small bulbs, has two wires coming out of it and they go to the card. It looks strange, but it works. I think they had fewer than 36 bulbs.

I ordered these at the end of last winter and Superbright may have changed what they offer, but at the time I believe the ones I got were the only ones that had the right combination of things I wanted—most lumens, color rendition, base, size of card, and how wide an area they light. The white fixtures I have don't have a shiny reflector, so a round LED wouldn't make sense if it were offered, and maybe it was and I didn't buy it because of the type of fixture.

This stuff is changing fast, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are newer and newer options every month.

Gene
Old 05-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #144
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Charlie, I just went out to the trailer to check for leaks since it's been raining a lot here. No leaks.

So I counted bulbs and now have yellow spots dancing around in front of me. The ones from Superbright that I used to replace the incandescent bulbs have 9 LED bulbs on the card. The ones from lewster that replace the halogens in the recessed lights have, I think 21 bulbs, but by that time I was seeing spots. It's not the amount of bulbs that matters I think.

Gene
Old 05-24-2009, 08:14 PM   #145
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Charlie, I just went out to the trailer to check for leaks since it's been raining a lot here. No leaks.

So I counted bulbs and now have yellow spots dancing around in front of me. The ones from Superbright that I used to replace the incandescent bulbs have 9 LED bulbs on the card. The ones from lewster that replace the halogens in the recessed lights have, I think 21 bulbs, but by that time I was seeing spots. It's not the amount of bulbs that matters I think.

Gene
Gene:

Thanks for checking that out. If you're happy with the lumens output of the 21 led bulbs I don't think I'll even consider the 63 count bulb. I'm still undecided between the spherical bulbs or the ones on the flat card. I think I'm going to order 2 each of the 36 ct and see how they work out. They may be too bright for some areas such as the bedroom but I'll deal with that later once I have these bulbs to compare to. The bulbs that I have in my interior are actually 1141 bulbs which have the same base as the 1156 but use less power. From what I read online the 1141 bulb is rated at 264 lumens and uses 1.44 amps per hour. The 36 ct. bulb uses .2 amps per hour so If I can just get these located in the right locations in the Airstream we might conserve 10-20 amp hours per day with these.

Charlie
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #146
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
G4 Led's from Superbright

After almost getting burned by touching the light fixtures in my AS Classic,
I just installed 2 of the G4 LED lights in the sockets over the twin beds. The other reason for the change is to conserve battery power when dry camping. The old bulbs really put out a lot of heat making it uncomfortable to sit and read. The LED bulbs are the Warm White G4-WWHP10-D lights and are cool to the touch. Output is very similar to the original G4 bulbs that came from Airstream. The light color may be a bit softer. I am now trying to figure out which G4 LED lights will work in the drop down swivel lights over the couch. The only one I see that I can order is the G4-WWHP15-T on the Superbrights web site. Does anyone have any experience with these?

The covers on both the lights over the couch and over the beds just twist off very easily, unlike all the prying I saw others were having to do. It may be the difference in light fixtures of the Classic compared to the Safari.
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:03 PM   #147
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Warm-white LED lights from Superbright

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstalzer View Post
... I am now trying to figure out which G4 LED lights will work in the drop down swivel lights over the couch. The only one I see that I can order is the G4-WWHP15-T on the Superbrights web site. Does anyone have any experience with these?...
We also enjoy the warm-white interior LED lights from superbrightleds.com.

We use their warm-white G4-WWHP15-T LED lights in our swivel reading lights over the lounge and head of bed. They put out adequate light for reading, use less energy, and do not get hot, which was important to us when we were camping in 100 degree heat recently. See more about this story and our installation of these lights with pictures in my article, "Desert heat", History Safari Express, Airstream Life Online Community.

Additional information on these LEDs along with specifics and pictures can be seen in Post #106 and Post #116 of this thread.
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #148
1 Rivet Member

Edgewood , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbacksurfer View Post
here's a far superior G4 LED.... warm white color temp, very pleasing to the eye. (not the blue-ish white like a typical white LED) I'm running them and really like them a lot.

LEDTrailerLights.com - RV LED interior ceiling light - recessed / flush mount

Old 07-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #149
1 Rivet Member

Edgewood , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
I think I'm going to test a few LED lights on my next trip. My 1981 Excella 2 has the 1156 bulbs so I've looked at a few options.
Try this one, from the same site I linked earlier: (I have them in my outside lights)

LEDTrailerLights.com - RV LED interior ceiling light 1141 1156 warm white

Old 07-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #150
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
I just installed in the swivel reading lamps the warm-white G4-WWHP15-T LED lights from Superbrights and we gave them a try for 4 days. They put out less light than the original lights but are certainly adequate for reading or just to have on in the evening. The real plus is they are just barely warm to the touch compared to the scorching hot halogens and I am sure they use a fraction of the energy. I had previously installed LED's in the flat fixtures over the twin beds and are very pleased with them.

Dennis
Old 07-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #151
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
It looks to me like there is a bridge rectifier on the board (4 diodes). Does this work off of 12 AC, too? Is it dimmable?

Zep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerthat View Post
here's a far superior G4 LED.... warm white color temp, very pleasing to the eye. (not the blue-ish white like a typical white LED) I'm running them and really like them a lot.

LEDTrailerLights.com - RV LED interior ceiling light - recessed / flush mount

Old 07-08-2009, 10:21 AM   #152
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
If you order 12 v., that's what you get. I believe all LED's are dimmable.

Gene
Old 07-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #153
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Has anyone replaced the Range hood bulb with one from Superbright?
We seem to use that one a lot when dock'n.
Number please...
Old 07-09-2009, 09:01 AM   #154
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Has anyone replaced the Range hood bulb with one from Superbright?
We seem to use that one a lot when dock'n.
Number please...
SuperBright LED light: T10-PCB-WHP9 warm-light.
Be sure to clean the inner top, metal surface of the light compartment, which might have some oil on it, so that the 3M double back adhesive mounting tape adheres.

We are very happy with the quantity of light it produces.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #155
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate View Post
SuperBright LED light: T10-PCB-WHP9 warm-light.
Be sure to clean the inner top, metal surface of the light compartment, which might have some oil on it, so that the 3M double back adhesive mounting tape adheres.

We are very happy with the quantity of light it produces.
S.G.
Is that # for a 9 LED light, I ordered the same # with the 24 LED option........I tink, That site takes some time getting used toooo
Old 07-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #156
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Has anyone tried the wedge style LED replacements that can be used in the chandelier fixture over the dinette? (I mean the LED's now available from the Airstream store)

Same question with the replacement LED's now offered by AS to install in the ceiling fluorescent fixtures?

I have already changed the reading lights at both ends of the trailer using LED's I bought from Superbright and would like to go further until I have pretty much all interior lights converted to LED, but before spending the $$, I'm just wondering if the items I mention above from AS are bright enough, and also if they are warm white rather than the bluish cold white.

What I have used so far are warm white so I'd like to stick with that colour temperature.

Appreciate any comment ....... Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #157
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Hi Bob,

(For our stove hood light) we ordered SuperBright light #T10-PCB-WHP9, Warm-white, which comes with 9 LEDs attached to a circuit board with two wires that attach to a base which fits into the original socket of our stove light. The circuit board is attached to the inside top of the hood (and as Larry mentioned: Be sure to clean the inner top, metal surface of the light compartment, which might have some oil on it, so that the 3M double back adhesive mounting tape adheres.)

If you ordered one with 24 LEDs is was probably #T10-PCB-Wxx (which will probably work also).

The Superbrightled.com site is extensive, but if you click on this link to SuperBright and scroll down the page, you will find all of the specific lights that we have refered to in previous postings.

For example: for replacing those hot halogen reading lights see this post.
To see what our interior indoor lighting looks like, click here.
To see how to replace the overhead halogen lights, click here.

One benefit of changing to LEDs is that they use less energy, last longer, & run cooler.
And now that they are available in warm-white, they put out a more pleasing light.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #158
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate View Post
Hi Bob,

(For our stove hood light) we ordered SuperBright light #T10-PCB-WHP9...

If you ordered one with 24 LEDs is was probably #T10-PCB-Wxx (which will probably work also).
... The difference being that the T10-PCB-WHP9 (as noted on the superbirght site) has high power LEDs compared to the T10-PCB-Wxx, so it gives out more lumens, which is probably why it is more expensive, but we are happy with it!
Old 07-24-2009, 07:59 AM   #159
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Has anyone replaced the bulb in the shower with LED? I looked at the superbrights web site and do not find anything that fits that socket. The bulb is a #1141.

Dennis
Old 07-24-2009, 08:38 AM   #160
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Look for #1156. It's the same as an 1141. Superbrightled.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ccd, led, lighting