Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #161
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
All the 1141 bulbs can be replaced. In our Safari I replaced 1141's in the bathroom, over the kitchen counter, over the dinette table, and in the shower.

It's been a while, but I did track it down through the 1156 number.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:28 PM   #162
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Mixing lights on the same circuit?

I don't think this has been covered...does anybody have any info on mixing lights on the same circuit? I plan on converting however I am hesitant to purchase seven LED's to replace all seven halogen in the recessed ceiling lights before I know what to expect. Is it OK to put (say) two LED's with the halogens or should I unplug the other five halogens and leave the light sockets empty while I experiment? I don't want to burn anything out or pop fuses.

Thanks in advance.

Randy
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #163
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hi Randy,

LEDs draw substantially less current than halogens, so if the circuit can handle 7 halogens, then it can handle any other combination of halogens and LEDs you'd like to use.

Feel free to experiment away!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:43 PM   #164
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Mixing LED and halogens on the same circuit is no problem at all. In fact if a single halogen light is wanted for task purposes in one area, by all means go for it.

I will say that cool blue LEDs of the same wattage are brighter, so we ended up with cool blue in under cabinet lights but warm white for all overhead lamps.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #165
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Mixing LED's and halogens is no different than having lamps with 40 watt, 60 watt and 75 watt bulbs, some of them incandescent and some compact fluorescent, on the same circuit in your house. All the wiring cares about is that you don't overload the circuit.

Gene
Old 07-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #166
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
What a difference

After replacing the majority of my incandescent bulbs with LEDs, I must say there is a noticable improvement in battery life while boondocking. We spent 3 nights boondocking this past weekend and still had significant life left in the batteries at the end of the trip. No more burning candles to save the batteries!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:48 AM   #167
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post
Look for #1156. It's the same as an 1141. Superbrightled.
Thanks silverleeper and crawfordgene for the cross reference on the 1141/1156 bulbs.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:02 PM   #168
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
Do they make any G4 LED bulbs in colors, like orange, green or blue?
1cericks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:44 PM   #169
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cericks1 View Post
Do they make any G4 LED bulbs in colors, like orange, green or blue?
Looks like they do. LED G4 Bulb - lightingfx.com

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #170
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
Optimal LED lighting mix for CCD

So this thread made it really easy to find the lights and install them. My thumb nails are sore but I didn't break one yet, nor scratch a fixture. I used the 10 pin warm-white g4's from superbrightleds.com. It's a great change given the improvement in battery consumption. I feel that the hallogen's are way more warm and comfortable than the LED's, so here's what i've come up with as the optimal lighting balance of battery savings vs. comfort.

I'm leaving most of the interior ceiling lights as hallogen. Will use them mostly when I'm plugged in or running the gen. Changed the stove exhaust, sink overhead and the toothbrush/makeup sink, and 2 reading lights to WarmWhiteLED (8 bulbs). Changed all three cabinets to outside red (6 bulbs red), center hallogen-- might like to try center as bright white LED to compare (3). Placed a pulsating color bulb in the center cabinet over the bed. It's almost like having a disco ball in the bedroom . Anyway, the red colors, while not as bright bring warmth to the trailer to offset the lack in the WarmWhiteLEDs.

I believe the future of these LEDs is something I saw a couple years ago in the "Microsoft" house. All the bulbs will be RGB multi-color LEDs and have a controller that lets you set any color of the spectrum for single or groups of bulbs in. It's pretty wild how the color spectrum can affect the atmosphere and your mood. Anyway, I guess I'd advise not to replace all your bulbs today with $15 lights that will last forever. Order slowly experiment with colors. Those $15 bulbs will be $7 next year and still last forever, so buy in increments so you don't end up with too many spare bulbs.
1cericks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:23 AM   #171
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Replaced the 2 "puck" lights at both ends, along with the stove light with LED's from Superbright before leaving for 15 days of dock'n at the Lake.

Good thing, as the new XADC60A converter took a dump and could not keep the batts charged without a direct connection to the genset. 4hrs of charge just to get above 12.5v, at least we had lights.

Good investment, IMHO.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #172
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate View Post
We are very happy with the LEDs from SuperBrightLEDs.com. The running lights, step light, and patio light were replaced 7/08 and are working out well. Since then, their price has been reduced.
SilverGate,

Could you specify which bulbs you used for the running lights, step light, and patio light.

Thanks,
Barry
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #173
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
All were from superbrightleds.com:

Running lights: 67 15 (Enter: 67 15 in superbrightleds' search window* to find this bulb)
67-x15 LED bulb
15-LED Single Intensity 15mm Bayonet base replacement bulb same base size as 1156, smaller bulb
Unique Design has 9 LEDs aiming out the end and 6 radially mounted LEDs aiming 90 degrees from the base
Select LED Color (Red or Amber for the appropriate running lights)

Step light: 67 15
(Same bulb as above except we chose the LED color: White.)

Patio light: BA15 24 (Enter: BA15 24 in superbrightleds' search window.)
BA15 24-LED bulb:
24-LED 12VDC bulb
15mm 1156 Single or 1157 Dual Intensity Bayonet Base
Unique Design has 18 LEDs aiming out the end and 6 radially mounted LEDs aiming 90 degrees from the base
Select Base and LED type (I don't remember if we selected narrow or wide viewing angle.)

Note: the LED that we used in the Patio light was not as bright as the original patio light, but we preferred it for that reason. If you want a brighter LED light bulb, you might consider the 1156-PCB-WHP9 white LED lamp (Enter:1156 PCB in superbrightleds' search window and scroll down to find this bulb.)

* Use the superbrightleds' search window found on this page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
SilverGate,

Could you specify which bulbs you used for the running lights, step light, and patio light.

Thanks,
Barry
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:34 PM   #174
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
going down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cericks1 View Post
experiment with colors. Those $X bulbs will be $1/2X next year and still last forever, so buy in increments so you don't end up with too many spare bulbs.
Yes they are! I found a company that has them for a little better than the rest.

Here is a 1156 cluster in Warm White

But the one I'm wonder about is the LED pad for the 4.25x4.25 Monarch Backup Lens.

This company has a kit for the whole light assm.

They have a video at the bottom of this page

I have been looking for this one. Has anyone tried it? you glue it on the tail light.

Fixer
Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:58 AM   #175
1 Rivet Member

Edgewood , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer58 View Post
Yes they are! I found a company that has them for a little better than the rest.

Here is a 1156 cluster in Warm White
I was disappointed in the lumen output of that one.

I returned it and bought a 10 pack of these, which are nearly identical in lumen output to a typical incandescent 1141.

LEDTrailerLights.com - RV LED interior ceiling light 1141 1156 warm white

Old 10-08-2009, 08:44 AM   #176
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
I got LED bulbs replacing the overhead halogens when I bought the trailer in 2007.
Got three lamps from Airstream, and one has now started to flicker obnoxiously.
So much for long term reliability. LED's are still evolving.
However, I bought one extra, and replaced.
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:49 PM   #177
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I just ordered more LED's from Superbright. Prices are coming down. I had them in my trailer since last spring and no problems.

Gene
Old 10-26-2009, 05:38 AM   #178
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
LED Conversion of 2009 27FB Internaitonal

Just to add to the information train, I converted every light in my 2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze to LEDs. In addition, I added a second fixture to the wardrobe in the shelf area, identical to the original.
The advantage for me are the lack of heat which were generated by the original Halogens. The LEDs output is estimated at less than the Halogens, but entirely adequate for all purposes. Power consumption has not been measured but should be about 20 - 25 % of the Halogens or less.
The biggest disadvantage is the phenomenal cost... over $400 for the over thirty LEDs required. There is also noticed an interference phenomenon, possibly because I have used two different types of G4 units, and this results in a "spot" pattern which may not be noticed by all.
I have worked closely with Dan at Out of Doors Mart in Colfax, North Carolina to look at the difference between warm white and bright white LEDs. Color is most likely the only difference with the amount of light output probably not an issue. I prefer warm white. In addition, for more light in the bathroom to help in applying makeup (needed at my age) I have added an additional three LED unit.
Overall, if one thinks the dollars are available, the change is a great improvement, primarily due to the lack of heat as generated by the OEM Halogens.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:49 AM   #179
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Woodland Park , Colorado
I also replaced a number of my halogens to LEDs from SuperBrightLED.com, based on the comments on this thread. I couldn't be happier. Replaced the lights over the dinette and kitchen area, as well as two of the task lights in the front and one in the rear.

The light output is excellent and the reduced battery draw amazing! No more living by headlamp to save battery power!!

Highly recommend to anyone who boondocks alot. jk
JK3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #180
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The Superbright LED's are brighter than the ones Lewster was selling in the past. If you want more light, that's good, if you want softer light, not so good. The G4's with the rear pins for the task (reading) lights in our Safari do not fit well, but by taking things apart, I was able to get them plugged in.

Airstream is now selling them at the store in JC and the prices are lower than Superbright's.

Gene

Tags
ccd, led, lighting