Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #221
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We got our LED's from different sources over two years and got warm white for all but one fixture (that one is low lumens for a night light). I can't tell the difference from incandescent or halogen. However, there are cheapo LED's on the market and their color rendition may not be as good as the ones I bought.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:53 AM   #222
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
same light

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerthat View Post
Warm white is really the most desirable.... it's about the same color temp as incandescent.

A less expensive LED for the outside light, which is cool white, is this one:

LEDTrailerLights.com - 1157 and 1156 LED replacement bulb style

I think this is the same light for less.

Click here to see it.

They do great on freight too
fix
Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #223
1 Rivet Member

Edgewood , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer58 View Post
I think this is the same light for less.
similar, but far dimmer, and not nearly as wide angle as the one I posted. tried those, didn't like 'em.

The individual LEDs aren't nearly as wide angle style.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:35 AM   #224
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Not exactly sure what you mean Rogerthat, but I did buy wide angle LED's from Superbright and they work fine.

Gene
Old 12-17-2009, 11:48 AM   #225
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
Ketchum , Idaho
Led

Gene, I have a 25' FB also. How do your leds compare to the original halogens? My wife found the cool whites too blue, and the warm whites too yellow and dull. What is your experience?
nwmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #226
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Rogerthat...how are those 252 lumen, 3.6 watt units for heat output?

I don't see much of a heat sink on them, and 3.6 watts seems like it would heat up inside an enclosed fixture - especially when there's four 'bulbs', such as a bathroom light fixture that needs lots of light...

Ray
Old 12-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #227
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' SS International
Pasadena , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer58 View Post
The one in this picture (above) is straight off the side.
The one picture below sits a little better in the puck light.

Ckick here to see this chip.

Airstream's part number on this one is 15751W-09

www.LED4RV.com has free shipping on this light

fixer58
how does the lightoutput/intesity of this led compare to the original 10watt bulb?

Thanks
flmgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:52 PM   #228
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
1383 replacements?

The reading lamp above my bed uses 1383 bulbs (sometimes called elevator bulbs). Anyone have a good source for these? I'm seeing them for something like $50 which is just out of hand. Also, what range of total lumens should I be looking at?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:14 PM   #229
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
1383 light bulbs are less than 4 bucks - try Google. Don't know about a LED replacement if that is what you're looking for.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #230
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
1383 light bulbs are less than 4 bucks - try Google. Don't know about a LED replacement if that is what you're looking for.
Yep, LEDs. The 1383 is one of the big energy eaters in my camper so replacing it is highest on my list of bulbs to replace.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:54 PM   #231
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmsmith View Post
Gene, I have a 25' FB also. How do your leds compare to the original halogens? My wife found the cool whites too blue, and the warm whites too yellow and dull. What is your experience?
Warm whites are the ones we bought and they are fine with us. Color perception differs and women can see more colors than men. Different brands have different color rendition. The cheap ones are the worst. So what is ok with us may not be to others, or it just may be the brand. LED's are improving rapidly and as they become more popular, the prices go down.

Brightness also is changing. The first ones I ordered for the main part of the cabin aren't as bright as the ones I got from a different source this year for the bedroom. The bedroom ones are brighter than I wanted, but we don't use the ceiling lights in the bedroom very often—only to find something. The reading lamps are more important in that room. If the lamps are too bright, a rheostat can solve that. The box where the switch is for the kitchen/dining/living room would have to be opened and a rheostat wired into the system and mounted on the cabinet next to the switch. It helps if you have miniature hands and are triple jointed, but it can be done—someone who did that posted a picture and the rheostat had a rocker just like the OEM switches.

Rodney—I think 70-100 lumens is about right, but I'm not all that sure. People also see brightness differently—I can see in a dim room pretty well when others can't (though as I get older that's changing). So what would be bright enough for one person is not for another.

And Mexray, 252 lumens is very, very bright. But LED's do not put out as much heat as halogens or incandescent, so I think there are no worries about heat.

The Superbright website has a lot of info on it and about a gazillion different bulbs. Navigating isn't all that easy, but it can be done with some patience.

Gene
Old 12-18-2009, 10:34 AM   #232
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
1383 replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
The reading lamp above my bed uses 1383 bulbs (sometimes called elevator bulbs). Anyone have a good source for these? I'm seeing them for something like $50 which is just out of hand. Also, what range of total lumens should I be looking at?
The best we have found is a light that puts out about 80% the amount of light as a 1383 at about 12% the power consumption. Anything we found that was the same amount of light was way too high in price and way too hot. It is about right for someone who wants to read and not disturb someone who wants to sleep, where as the 1383 was a bit much. For the most part the 1383 bulb was put in reading lights over the bed and the sofa.

Dan
Old 12-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #233
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan4odm View Post
The best we have found is a light that puts out about 80% the amount of light as a 1383 at about 12% the power consumption. Anything we found that was the same amount of light was way too high in price and way too hot. It is about right for someone who wants to read and not disturb someone who wants to sleep, where as the 1383 was a bit much. For the most part the 1383 bulb was put in reading lights over the bed and the sofa.

Dan
Dan,

The bulb looked interesting and I was ready to order four, but $17.50 as the lowest shipping option just aint happening. The search goes on.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #234
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
That bulb looks like an 1156 replacement. Has anyone tried a 1156 to see if it will work? As for those shipping charges at Out of Doors Mart you're right. Over 23 bucks for Priority Mail when 4 bulbs would easily fit in the smallest Flat Rate envelope - and I believe the rate for that is $4.80. If you haven't done so you might try calling OOD and see what they'll do for you. Bought my first AS there and they're good people to deal with.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #235
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
shipping question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
Dan,

The bulb looked interesting and I was ready to order four, but $17.50 as the lowest shipping option just aint happening. The search goes on.
Thank you for addressing the freight charges. We have so many differant parts on our site with respect to size that somethings will not go in the mail. So, we have UPS set as the cheapest way and if we can ship it a cheaper way we do and refund the overage. If someone were to order as many as 10 lights it would be around $5.00 That would be in the US Mail.

It works on all the parts we sell.

Dan
Old 12-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #236
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan4odm View Post
Thank you for addressing the freight charges. We have so many differant parts on our site with respect to size that somethings will not go in the mail. So, we have UPS set as the cheapest way and if we can ship it a cheaper way we do and refund the overage. If someone were to order as many as 10 lights it would be around $5.00 That would be in the US Mail.

It works on all the parts we sell.

Dan
OK, I'm game, I will go ahead and order them.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:40 AM   #237
1 Rivet Member

Edgewood , New Mexico
The ones I ordered had flat rate shipping no matter how many you ordered.
I think it was $4.80

LEDTrailerLights.com - RV LED interior ceiling light 1141 1156 warm white
Old 01-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #238
3 Rivet Member

i am slowly changing out the halogens in my 2010 19' bmbi. i am up to changing the 3 puck ceiling lights over the lavy that need to go on in order to turn on the lights in the shower(what a weird hook up that is). anyway i was just wondering if anybody would be able to explain/show how to open the puck light up in order to get the new halogen in as i do not know how to get into it. any help welcome.
dsrtgrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:01 AM   #239
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Airstream has it now

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmgrip View Post
how does the lightoutput/intesity of this led compare to the original 10watt bulb?

Thanks
Airstream now has this light configured for the reading lights

Here it is in Warm White

Here it is in Bright White

Looks pretty good.

fix
Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:10 AM   #240
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Opening the ceiling pucks

Having changed all thirty or so in my 09 Int, I found a curved carpet knife worked well to ease under the edge of the puck lens without scratching anything. It is easily pried out and removed. Another method I have used is a tongue depressor, sharpened, which can be wedged under the edge of the puck lens. The wood does not scratch for sure, but sometimes the sharp edge will not last long. Good luck.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ccd, led, lighting