Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2021, 09:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
LED light upgrade

I was looking at converting fluorescent light fixtures to LED in order to reduce power usage when boondocking. At first I though of going with LED light strips or replacement LED T8 and T5 tubes but then I came across this company. Leisure RV Parts. Never used them in the past but they have a great deal on a complete replacement light fixture that may just work for me.: https://leisurervparts.com/leisure-l...te-4000-4500k/

At $39 a fixture it comes in close to the cost of just the bulbs. More expensive than the LED strips but with a much better light pattern and a rather simple installation. Even has a built in touch pad dimmer to give you anything from 25% to 100% light output or OFF.

Anyone have any dealings with them or this specific light?
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 07:14 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
San Luis Obispo , California
LED light replacement

I don't have any experience with these lights but just finished replacing all the flourescent bulbs in my trailer with the LED strips. I took the existing fixtures down and removed all the original guts. Hooked the strips to the proper wires and we are very happy with the outcome. One reason we went with the strips is I do not like the cold color of the bright white LED lights. We went with a warm color on the strip. We purchased them from LED4rv.com. Customer service there is outstanding! The only complaint was the sticky back on the strips did not keep them up. I ended up using a hot glue gun to attached them to the fixture which only took a few minutes to complete.

While I had the fixtures down I removed the plastic surrounds and coated them with a peroxide cream I bought at a local hairdresser supply. Laid them out on saran wrap, coated them with the peroxide cream, put another layer of wrap over the top to keep them from drying out and left them in the sun all day. Rinsed them off with the hose and they look like new. Be sure to use the cream so it will adhere to all the surface and not run off.

Good luck!
slofoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 08:12 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I used 8 of these...Removed all the guts, and re-installed the bulbs to help defuse the light...6yrs SFSG.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4751BDDE-E696-491E-9EF5-6E115DB02275_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	407627   Click image for larger version

Name:	3085AC7D-E488-4927-89B5-4A4FEFE32394_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	407628  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0F5AC3ED-57A7-46A2-9BCF-AEF71A266006_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	407629  
Old 11-07-2021, 07:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by slofoks View Post
I don't have any experience with these lights but just finished replacing all the flourescent bulbs in my trailer with the LED strips. I took the existing fixtures down and removed all the original guts. Hooked the strips to the proper wires and we are very happy with the outcome. One reason we went with the strips is I do not like the cold color of the bright white LED lights. We went with a warm color on the strip. We purchased them from LED4rv.com. Customer service there is outstanding! The only complaint was the sticky back on the strips did not keep them up. I ended up using a hot glue gun to attached them to the fixture which only took a few minutes to complete.

While I had the fixtures down I removed the plastic surrounds and coated them with a peroxide cream I bought at a local hairdresser supply. Laid them out on saran wrap, coated them with the peroxide cream, put another layer of wrap over the top to keep them from drying out and left them in the sun all day. Rinsed them off with the hose and they look like new. Be sure to use the cream so it will adhere to all the surface and not run off.

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I used 8 of these...Removed all the guts, and re-installed the bulbs to help defuse the light...6yrs SFSG.

Bob
����
One of the reasons I was not wanting to use the LED strips was to avoid the spotty look of spaced out LEDs. Yes, i know that leaving in the original bulbs in place will help to diffuse the light. The other thing was the difficulty of having to gut the original fixtures and then install the strips and hope they stay in place. I also wanted new lenses and a more updated fixture look.

The fixture I posted has a very even 144 LED pattern, completely new housing and lens and has the ability to dim them when needed. The dimensions are identical to my existing T8 fixtures and only requires a two wire connection. Should by easy as pie to install. At $39 for one or a 4 pack for $139.00 I think they're a fairly economical solution for a completely new fixture. All of my fixtures are surface mounted so installation should be as simple as unscrew fixture, cut wires and screw new fixture back up. Just wondering if anyone else has tried these or dealt with this company?

Maybe I'll be the first to try them out. Right now I have a question into them that may determine if I try it out or not. I want to know if it remembers the state it was in if it looses power. I know it remembers the dimmer setting but I want to know if it remembers the ON/OFF state. That could make or break the deal since I do have two circuits that are controlled by light switches. One circuit is in the bedroom and one is in the main cabin area. In both cases I can simply turn on a switch when entering the room and the lights will come on.

EDIT: I may have found my answer to the light switch question. According to this video it remembers whatever setting it was at.:
https://youtu.be/ii8Yh5KWJPs
Old 01-30-2022, 04:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Here's a link to the post I just made about how the install ended up looking.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f16...ts-231255.html