Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Queen Creek , Arizona
I think I'm going to order a few of these and try them out.

Last year I had to have my generator rebuilt as well as replacing my batteries. That bill did not make me very happy. If I can replace all the lights with LED's and extend the life of these I think it will be worth the upfront cost.

Im going to order a few of these and soon and I will keep everybody posted on the results.

I just noticed they have two available. The one I posted above and a brighter version:

Rigid Industries RV LED Kit 400 Lumens | eBay

Which locations do you think these would work in best?

It seem as the folks that have tried these like them a lot.
Arstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:01 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Dedicated fixtures designed from the ground up for LED applications will work better but are costly and are really only suitable for people redoing the whole interior:

Apeiron Warm White LED
Well that's good. If I'm selling all my vintage lights and starting anew, I guess it works out well that I was planning to install LEDs.

Just like when I installed solar on my boat though, decreasing the dependability on limited electricity supplies on long trips is invaluable. The difference of scales is being forced to walk around the trailer with flashlights and not have running sinkwater versus not having the power to run a bilge pump in an emergency scenario.

Regardless, I still feel like its worth it for a full renovation to install LED lights for everything. Especially if its only a 100 sq.ft. trailer...

Thanks for the useful thread guys, this is very helpful for a newbie comparing LED lighting options.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:58 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I originally had twenty 1141 bulbs in all interior lights. I spent around $100 to replaced one bulb with LED's in six of the two bulb overhead lights and one of the single bulb reading lights over the bed. I left one of the original 1141 bulbs in the second socket of the two bulb fixtures, except the one over the kitchen sink I installed both with LED's. This way I can use the LED's 95% of the time. When I need brighter task lighting I switch on the second bulb for a short time. This was my less expensive compromise/solution to excessive battery drain while bondocking. Most of the time I camp where there is shore power.

I am satisfied with the results!

I used seven of these: LED Bright White Light Cluster 20 LEDs B1156-20BWF [B1156-20BWF] - $11.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

I used one of these in the fixture where I installed the second LED in the kitchen: Large Warm White Pad 1156p48x68WW [1156p48x68WW] - $19.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

I use ODM for most of my parts since I'm only a twenty minute drive away.
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #24
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Here's something for consideration about LEDs:
How many of us have lights in their fridges? I noticed in the relatively short time the door is open, two things happen. First, the bulb gets very warm (hot), and the fridge will have to work to coll the bulb back down after you shut the door. Second, for the time the door is open, there is a draw on the battery. If you open the door many times during the day, there will be a noticeable power consumption. The door may only be open a couple of minutes at a time, if that, but eventually that time will add up.
So, I pulled out the old bullet light bulb in ours, and installed an LED in its place. It's more than bright enough, and a bunch cooler. I singed my fingers removing the old bulb, and the door had only been open maybe a minute when I grabbed the bulb. It's part #F4LED-BW on www.led4rv.com's website. Here are before and after photos:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	636.3 KB
ID:	129637   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	659.3 KB
ID:	129638  

Old 05-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
A little off topic, but relevant!

Remember that for every minute you leave the door open on a gas/absorption fridge, the unit requires 1 HOUR to recover the temperature loss!!!!

Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #26
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
A little off topic, but relevant!

Remember that for every minute you leave the door open on a gas/absorption fridge, the unit requires 1 HOUR to recover the temperature loss!!!!

Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it!!!
That's good to know for those with children that like to stand with the door open, cooling off the trailer...
Old 05-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Queen Creek , Arizona
Well I placed my order from the Ebay link above a few days ago. I'm hoping they show up before this weekend so I can have some time to install and test them.

I noticed a few posts in other threads about over-volting the LED replacement's. I gave them a call and was told that the listed life expectancy and lumen output was based on a 14.44 volt input power. He insisted he has never heard of or seem a failure due to this and reminded me of the 2-year warranty. I was going to order a cheeper version but he also brought up the fact that they are made in the USA.

I will keep everbody posted on the results.

Thanks again for all the input!!
Arstream is offline   Reply With Quote