Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2020, 08:26 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
LED Dimmer Weirdness

Hi,

2019 FC 25FBQ.

The main interior LED ceiling lights have been acting up. Often not going on right away or flickering. Sometimes if I slide the dimmer rapidly I can get to come on 100% but they seem to live at ~75% of max illumination. It's getting worse.

Oddly I found that if I turn on the outside awning LED strip the interiors hop up to 100%! Earlier when I turned off the exterior the interior flickered and lowered down to ~75%. Holding this time though!

It's all the ceiling lights not a select few.

What the heck? Just a bad dimmer switch? I took it out of the cabinet and cant's see where the pigtails splice in... do they go all the way to the panel?

I figure I'll swap the interior dimmer with exterior dimmer to start. Are they 12v? Should I unplug shore power? Normally I would but if low voltage...I was a finish carpenter and learned to work with hot wires....you can't run to the breaker every time right!

Any advice?
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
All the lights in the trailer are designed for 12V and are powered through the 12V portion of the distribution center. LED's are low voltage low current devices so they generally daisy chain 3 @ 4V each to make 12V If you look closely at each light you will notice the LEDs are in groups of 3. LEDs are also unidirectional and pass current in one direction. So, what happens is they are sensitive to poor connections and behave the way you describe when poor connections exist. the poor connection may be the dimmer but it may be somewhere else, which seems likely given the flickering indicating usually a poor negative/ground as that will create enough current to cause lights sharing the negative lead to light for a very short time.

All this to say it may be the dimmer, but it may not be. I would swap the leads on the dimmers you have temporarily to confirm the dimmer before ordering a new one. I would also consider cleaning the variable resistor with electric contact cleaner if it is a mechanical type. If it is solid state you're out of luck on that. I have not taken one out to see. If you eliminate the dimmer as the issue you will have to inspect and redo the wire connectors.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:34 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
All the lights in the trailer are designed for 12V and are powered through the 12V portion of the distribution center. LED's are low voltage low current devices so they generally daisy chain 3 @ 4V each to make 12V If you look closely at each light you will notice the LEDs are in groups of 3. LEDs are also unidirectional and pass current in one direction. So, what happens is they are sensitive to poor connections and behave the way you describe when poor connections exist. the poor connection may be the dimmer but it may be somewhere else, which seems likely given the flickering indicating usually a poor negative/ground as that will create enough current to cause lights sharing the negative lead to light for a very short time.

All this to say it may be the dimmer, but it may not be. I would swap the leads on the dimmers you have temporarily to confirm the dimmer before ordering a new one. I would also consider cleaning the variable resistor with electric contact cleaner if it is a mechanical type. If it is solid state you're out of luck on that. I have not taken one out to see. If you eliminate the dimmer as the issue you will have to inspect and redo the wire connectors.
Thanks!

I finally just swapped out the outside awning dimmer with the problematic ceiling dimmer and problem solved. The outside is not working now so the the dimmer probably had a bad wire that finally broke loose from the board during the swap.

So I'll order up a new switch.

Thanks for the LED lecture...I knew nothing about these lights!

Trav
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote