Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2003, 03:54 PM   #1
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
LED Clearance/Marker lights

Now that I am polishing my trailer, I am thinking of replacing my marker lights since they are in poor condition and I have to remove them anyway.

I was thinking of LED models even though they are twice the price as conventional units.

I found some here. The ones I am considering are the last two on the page. The red and amber.

I was wondering if others have done this and how they liked them. Also any good/cheaper sources?

I like this model since each light has 10 LEDs instead of just a couple like I seen at the local auto store.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 04:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I'm REALLY liking the first two! Those just say "AIRSTREAM" all over 'em!

-Don

P.S. These guys are a little cheaper....
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 05:10 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I was thinking of just adding some LED repalcement bulbs. I don't have the site handy, but they fit right into (in most cases) the existing hardware.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 05:12 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
I was thinking of just adding some LED repalcement bulbs. I don't have the site handy, but they fit right into (in most cases) the existing hardware.

Eric
eric

maybe you will get luck and get them stock

john
Old 10-07-2003, 05:20 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The tail lights will be LED, but the marker lights I think are standard bulbs. If the marker lights were LED, that would be really kick, well, you know.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 06:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Those are nice looking. Wish it gave the dimensions Thos would look nice for side marker lights as well. Wish they had a dressy bezel like that for for the 7 inch round tail lights.
Think I wll go with these to replace the Bargman 99's I cant find.
http://www.buytruckstuff.com/product...=34&p_gpID=133
Large enough to cover the existing holes.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 11:08 PM   #7
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Thumbs up Thanks for the tip

Thanks for the info on PartsSystems.

I just ordered 10 of these LED Marker lights . Well five red and five amber of course.

Total shipped was around $85. Should look pretty slick when I finish polishing the trailer....

Quote:
Originally posted by drboyd
These guys are a little cheaper....
Old 10-23-2003, 01:24 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Safari Tim,

As you probably found out, the Double Bulls Eye lights from PartsSystems are not exactly like the old incondescent Double Bulls Eye lights originally used on the Airstreams.

My 1995 Excella had both hot and ground wires connected to the old fixtures. The new fixtures have only a connection for the hot wire. The ground is through the mounting screws. There is no room or provision to connect the ground wire, not even to the mounting screw holes.

The wire indent space molded on the new fixture is smaller than the old fixture. Inorder to use the two existing mounting screw holes, you must elongate the wire access hole in the aluminum skin. I had to do this anyway because the existing holes were to small to get the old fixture crimp connectors out. They must have beat them in with a hammer once they were originally connected. I cleared and capped the ground wire, tied the ground wire with fine nylon thread to the hot wire about three inches back form the end of the hot wire, and then I taped the wires together. I might want to gain access to the ground wire in the future. I then pushed the wires back into the hole until about one inch of the hot wire was left out. I then bent the wire in a ninety degree angle and duct taped it to the outside aluminum skin. This held the wire out of my way while I Dremeled the hole bigger. Make the hole longer downward toward the bottom perimeter of the new fixture. This will allow the new fixture indent space to be directly over the ellongated hole. There is no room allowed for wire behind the fixture nor is there room for a grommet! I burnished the hole to remove burrs and coated the edges with nonhardening caulk.

I then crimped the new fixture to the hot lead and pushed all the wires back into the hole. Fill the hole with nonhardening caulk. I then mounted the new fixture via the existing two holes and screws.

The new fixtures have moisture bleed holes on all four sides. This makes it a little more difficult to get a nice looking bead when sealing the top and side edges. As you probably know, you don't want to seal the bottom edge or weep hole. This allows moisture to drain.

The new fixtures look very good and bright even from extreme angles not just straight on, a weakness of many LED fixtures. It is nice to have twelve LEDs per fixture.

I am very glad that I did this replacement since I had no idea that the existing fixtures were so brittle from UV radiation. The lenses were not as bad as the bases. The bases were like egg shells. They disintigrated in my hands and I believe these were the second set of fixtures. This is on a 1995 model Airstream.

I just took my time and was very careful. I have not done the top clearance lights yet.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:47 AM   #9
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Thumbs up

Thanks diesel for the info. I'm glad you like your improvment.

I checked my orginal markers out first. They have the one power wire and get the ground via the mounting screw.

So I'm good to go with the replacements.

Should make a nice finishing touch after my polish job.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master

LLED

Safari Tim,

WE put 2 pair (2 red and 2 amber) of the sllim line LED lights you posted. It would be the 3rd and 4th lights. Then we put the 8 inch red on the rear for brake and taill. The holes on the 8 inch matched exactly.
The ones you were originally considering have just one line of filament. Interesting , the slim lline has 2 rows. They look real cool on our Globetrotter. The is no doubt from behind in the dark when you hit the brakes. They even gleem in daylight.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 05:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Hmmmm

Safari Tim

I like the looks of that white, 54 LED light~!~
flash..A couple of them in the ceiling would do wonders~!~
What do you think?
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 07:08 PM   #12
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Marker lights

I worked the internet, the forum & the telephone for two weeks to find some Signal Stat units that my 1985 25' had originally.

These units had a 'quick connect pin' permanently crimped to the wire emmiting from the AS; and the housing of the marker had a female receiver for the pin. Signal Stat (and now Truck-Lite) PN# 1213 & 1213A

For the Catalog copy & paste:

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...0001&langId=-1

The entire change out for these lights is one minute! (or less if your fast with a Phillips) I sure wanted to keep them Original!

Well, I couldn't find them,... although an absolute duplicate (except no 'quick connect') was located @ Wall-Mart (a Peterson product) and cost $ 2.86 each. The lens is a SS 9007 (similar to the ones you referenced) Dual flat pin bulbs (#193) in each.

For your lights copy & paste:

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...8357&langId=-1

Truck-Lite's phone is 1-800-562-5012.

Good Luck!

They look to all, the same as original; only you & I & all who read the forum will know the difference.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 08:22 PM   #13
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Lightbulb This has been enlightening.....

Coloradobus
Cool. Those are nice lights. I just got the regular looking ones since they will look stock during the day, and cool at night

I already powered one up to test it and it looks great.

I like the idea of your break light. I will have to look into that as well. Thanks for the idea..

53FlyingCloud
White leds eh.... Might be cool. But usually they only emit at the end so lighting up a room may not work without some kind of lense. Check it out and let us know

Looking forward to mounting my marker lights. Not only because they will look nice, but because it will mean I'm done with the outside for this year
Old 10-24-2003, 09:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Actually, it's

Safari Tim

I'm in the process of testing a red LED light in the front living area.
This gives a soft glow and, as you said..It's fairly directional only because of the way the LED is mounted in the socket.
I could see the other one (white LIGHT LED) used under the cabinet in the kitchen area..

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote