Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
LED Cabinet Accents

I hate the harsh white light of the new LED so i'm always on the prowl for a way to warm up the lighting in the trailer.

I bought a couple of these sets of LED strip lights. (Costco had them cheaper) They come with a converter to plug them into your house but since the lights are 12 volt I removed the converter and just direct wired them to the 12v. I put them across the top of every cabinet and they look fantastic.

The set comes with a tiny remote to dim and set functions like strobe if you want to give your wife an little after dinner seizure. You can also set the light to any color but the warm orange-y glow is our favorite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000106.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	179272  
AlumFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
I just found your thread..............those look great. Do you have more pics of the other cabinets?

Thank you.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
I just found your thread..............those look great. Do you have more pics of the other cabinets?

Thank you.

Deb
We taking the trailer out this weekend so I'll get some pictures of the other cabinets. It really looks fantastic and gives us a ton of options for our mood lighting. Next I'd like to see how lights under the bed and benches edges look.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Hey, Falcon and everybody

If you don't like harsh lights check out a company called Californeon. They make electroluminescent tape. They uses very little power, and look very cool.
More like mood lighting than reading light though. The lights were originally used as accent stripes for the exterior of pimped out muscle cars. My friend used them as under cabinet indirect lighting. They were too bright for his use as a night light, so he simply cut some off to suit his liking. they use 12 volt power.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Here's a view down the center, in warm mode and "party" mode:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000175.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	181337   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000180.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	181338  

Old 03-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlumFalcon View Post
Here's a view down the center, in warm mode and "party" mode:
Looks great.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Whoa! Those look nice! Good job!
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlumFalcon View Post
I hate the harsh white light of the new LED so i'm always on the prowl for a way to warm up the lighting in the trailer.

I bought a couple of these sets of LED strip lights. (Costco had them cheaper) They come with a converter to plug them into your house but since the lights are 12 volt I removed the converter and just direct wired them to the 12v. I put them across the top of every cabinet and they look fantastic.

The set comes with a tiny remote to dim and set functions like strobe if you want to give your wife an little after dinner seizure. You can also set the light to any color but the warm orange-y glow is our favorite.
I have a couple of sets of these lights, only I have not done anything with them yet. I'll place them above the front and back overhead cabinets at either end of the trailer.
I noticed that you wired them direct. I plan to do the same.
What was the best way you found to get to the 12v wires?
Did you tap into the reading light wires?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
I cheated and brought the trailer down the the guys at Car Toys. I got lucky and found a couple guys there that appreciated Airstreams, were perfectionists and did a very clean job. All 3 lights for around 150 bucks.

For the front we tapped into the radio, the back was from the reading lamp, the gallery was from the sink light. I had them place the remote receivers hidden but still slightly raised up, about 1/2 inch, so I could easily hit all lights from any one place in the trailer. I think putting a light at each end is perfect and it will look fantastic. Post pics when you're done, can't wait to see!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks for the info. It will be a while before I get to install them. I'll try to post pics when complete.