Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2003, 12:08 PM   #1
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
LED Brake/Turn Lights

I don't know if it is just me, but most people don't seem to pay any attention to the turn indicators on the Airstream. Changing lanes can be a real challenge as people don't want to be behind the Silver Condo!

I am thinking about replacing the turn/brake lights with LED bulbs. Has anyone else done this - are they substantially brighter? Look forward as usual to hearing your responses - what a great group for ideas!!!

Malcolm
kamadeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 12:57 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
LED's

Hi Malcolm,
I don't think the LED's would work too well for the taillights in your Airstream.
You could only use the replacement bulbs, which are not as bright as a 21W incandescent bulb. They just blink more agrressively because their on/off times are super-quick.
I would suggest cleaning your contacts inside the taillights up as good as you can, and replacing the bulbs with the right type. Then replace the red lenses.
You will see that the turn signals and stop lights etc. will be 30% brighter, not as murky and dark red as before. i was going to try and add reflective paint or a piece of bright aluminum behind the bulb, but have not had time for it yet.
Good Luck to you!
Old 08-12-2003, 01:16 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

UWE ,I was thinking about making my own led array to go behind the exsisting lens.This is an idea I have been kicking around for quit some time .I agree the replacement bulb type leds would not work any better than the standard if not worse ,but after playing around with an old lens i found that 6 or 8 leds stratigicly placed can be very effective. Oh well too many projects not enough time ! Tom
71tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 04:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Give it a shot I bet you will like them, but it might take more than 6 or 8 LEDs. Watch the commercial trucks (the newer UPS and USPS local delivery vehicles especially), alot are going to them. Lighting is one of the higher dollar maintenance items and these cut costs and improve visibility greatly. I replaced everything but the headlights/driving lights on my mh with them.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 05:02 PM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by 74Argosy24MH
Give it a shot I bet you will like them, but it might take more than 6 or 8 LEDs. John
The new Internationals have LED tail/brake lights. My trailer isn't at home to count, but there must be something like 16 or more LEDs for each function. The LED lights are super bright, but gave the disadvantage that they can'tbe seen at all from the side.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 07:59 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Question

Anyone know the website to the company that makes LED clusters that fit into normal bulb sockets. I am sure it was on this forum, but I can't find it.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 08:28 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Hello Silvertwinkie and others

Check out
http://www.superbrightleds.com/index.htm

There may be something of interest there.
Dr. Harold Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 09:36 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Before you start switchen and swappin around lites....MAKE SURE THEY ARE DOT APPROVED AND HAVE THE PROPER INFO ON THE BULB CLUSTER...There are some that are not approved for vehicle use and if in a crash even a rear-ender....you might be giving the other guy "just cause" to make an issue out of it....and then your insurance company finds a loop-hole and you are stuck with a judgement....OY!....."buyer be aware".....geof-in Cincinnati
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 10:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Okay

FYI

Just last week I was shopping at the local "ADVANCE AUTO" store and, found the answer to your problem. They have in stock direct rerplacement light bulbs for your car. Even the little wedgie (4 white leds square) that GMC uses for front turn signals..Cost is abt 7$ per bulb.
All I could find that were whites were for the side turn signals. The twist lock bayonet type bulbs available had both the single/double base contact and, were either amber or red. These were about 8$ each. These bulbs had a cluster of LEDs on a pc style board (approx 17 or LEDS)
If anyone wants.. I can check again for the comapny's name that makes them and their website..(Don't have it with me now)
Here's a link to the store..
Advance Auto
Just go to Auto Accessories, then, look up lighting under LED

ciao
BTW, They also sell sidelights assy for trailers to replace your old ones. (3 LEDS per unit) cost about 27$ per unit. Available in both amber and red lens.
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 08:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
How about these?

You can also try www.grote.com , they sell the lights the truckers use. Trailer lights seem pretty universal, a truck supplier should be able to help.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:03 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Did you ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamadeca View Post
I am thinking about replacing the turn/brake lights with LED bulbs. Has anyone else done this - are they substantially brighter? Look forward as usual to hearing your responses - what a great group for ideas!!!

Malcolm
Did you ever find a fix for the S/T/T ?

You ever try these?
LED Pad Upgrade for Turn and Stop Lights1157P48x68R [1157P48x68R] - $19.95 : LEDs 4, Recreational Vehicles

Fix
Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:18 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
Corpus Christi , Texas
Another vendor with different size DOT approved LED tail lights.
http://www.closertowholesale.com/
Old 05-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
fixer58 did you know this thread is 6+ years old?