Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
Big G

2000 19' Bambi
Paso Robles , California
Interior light replacement lens covers

for interior lights in Bambi 2002. Simple half-lozenge with tabs on three sides. Can't find any listings for these things. They seem to be a very common style. See attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	143575  
bgmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmills View Post
for interior lights in Bambi 2002. Simple half-lozenge with tabs on three sides. Can't find any listings for these things. They seem to be a very common style. See attached photo.
I believe you can get the entire replacement light like we did through the Airstream store for about $8 each. The new ones have a clear lens which gives a lot more light, especially if you put an LED retrofit bulb in them.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
I ordered through my dealer but i got the frosted lenses. got the whole fixture took like 10 minutes for the dealer to put it in while they were doing other stuff. one of the previous owners had melted a hole in the one over the galley.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
one of the previous owners had melted a hole in the one over the galley.
That and them falling off and getting stepped on are the two biggest reasons they need replacement.
If you put LEDs in with the clear lenses, you can dab a little glue on the corners to keep them where they belong.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
Big G

2000 19' Bambi
Paso Robles , California
Thanks for the tips

I guess buying a spare fixture wouldn't hurt. Its the lens on the light in the rear storage compartment keeps getting knocked off and is now broken. I am in the process of replacing the bulbs with LEDs but don't want this one getting damaged. Is there an online Airstream store? I found a lot of parts sites but no listings for these things. Perhaps I should just make one out of heavy wire mesh. I would guess that LEDs will present less of a heat/fire hazard.
bgmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:48 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmills View Post
I guess buying a spare fixture wouldn't hurt. Its the lens on the light in the rear storage compartment keeps getting knocked off and is now broken. I am in the process of replacing the bulbs with LEDs but don't want this one getting damaged. Is there an online Airstream store? I found a lot of parts sites but no listings for these things. Perhaps I should just make one out of heavy wire mesh. I would guess that LEDs will present less of a heat/fire hazard.
I googled interior rv trailer lights and came up with these that take the old bulbs but are pretty cheap:
Lighting

RV Interior Light - Female Socket Port, On/Off Switch - Aero Style - Double - White Optronics Trailer Lights RVIF32

Or in the LED format:
R and P Carriages Trailer Sales, Service, Parts and Rentals
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
clear lens vs white lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCottage View Post
.............. clear lens which gives a lot more light, especially if you put an LED retrofit bulb in them.
This is very true and the bright white LEDs loose more light out-put with the white lens than the warm white. The bright white do produce more light and if that is what you are after and your unit has white lens (and most Airstreams do), then changing them to a clear lens will increase the light output.