Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2023, 09:14 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Installing New Marker Lights on 1964 Overlander

Greetings All!

I am getting ready to embark on a new project. In the past, I would have trusted this job to Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, Iowa, but since they were purchased by Camping World and I have retired, I am going to try this job myself.

I have purchased a set of these teardrop LED marker lights from Vintage Trailer Supply. I face two quandaries in regard to this project. The first being what method of attaching the new lights would be preferred -- aluminum pop rivets or stainless steel metal screws? I have both available, just not certain which to use, but my intuition says rivets. The second being what method of joining the wires would be preferred -- the old style crimp connectors or the new style solder splice connectors that solder in a sleeve that melts when in contact with heat from a heat gun and a plastic sleeve that surrounds the repair? I like the idea of the solder splice connectors, but I have both types of connectors in my tool kit.

These are the Tear Drop lights that I have purchased from Vintage Trailer Supply:

These are the solder splice connectors that I have purchased from Xiamen Huaju Industrail Co. Ltd., through Amazon:

Thank you for your opinions and advice!
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 10:20 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
I think all your options are viable. I usually use screws, rivets will certainly work. Some will install nutplates and machine screws. I like crimp style butt connectors, maybe with heat shrink but that means another tool and a power supply. All your options will work.
Good luck, Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 10:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
I have some experience with vintage trailers and their restoration, have used those same lights from VTS, and offer the following. I would go with aluminum rivets due to the potential galvanic corrosion between the aluminum body and stainless steel screws, and I do like the solder splice connectors. In addition, I don’t recall what (if any) gaskets came with the lights but some butyl tape would be good for leak protection.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags