Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2021, 12:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Newport Beach , California
Installing dimmer switch for LED ceiling puck lights

I have a 2019 Flying Cloud 27FB. I replaced the halogen lamps with LED chips purchased at the Airstream Supply. The LED lamps seem to work OK. but they are fairly intense and I would like to install a dimmer. I was told by a vendor of the LED lamps being sold by Airstream Supply that there are significant issues with installation due to the fact that the entire Airstream frame serves as a ground and for some reason that I do not understand, this situation causes the dimmer switch to be bypassed.

Has anyone had experience installing a dimmer for ceiling puck lights and reading lights over bed and dinette table?
nwprtbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:38 PM   #2
Vantair

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
LED Dimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwprtbch View Post
I have a 2019 Flying Cloud 27FB. I replaced the halogen lamps with LED chips purchased at the Airstream Supply. The LED lamps seem to work OK. but they are fairly intense and I would like to install a dimmer. I was told by a vendor of the LED lamps being sold by Airstream Supply that there are significant issues with installation due to the fact that the entire Airstream frame serves as a ground and for some reason that I do not understand, this situation causes the dimmer switch to be bypassed.

Has anyone had experience installing a dimmer for ceiling puck lights and reading lights over bed and dinette table?
Hi,
We've tried it but unsuccessfully so on our updated Amazon 12vdc puck LED lights and a 12vdc dimmer - negative output (changing from the original power sucking halogens in our 2005 Intl). This is what we found:

-The LED puck lights must be a dimmable design ..many are not and can flicker when dimmed/voltage lowered.

-The dimmer switch must be a 12vdc type - +12v with positive lead control out to the LEDs which are fed by a positive lead non-pulsing output. (Some dimmers are a pulsing style output for incandescent and /or negative terminal control out and the LEDs may get their negative from the chassis frame making it non-compatible.

We gave up for now just doing accent lighting but think AS Factory or AS shop would direct you to the magic combinations of what works.
2020 GMC Sierra Denali Diesel 2500 4X4 3.43 Int sway/tow controller
1981 Honda Trail CT110 1X0..no sway control
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:57 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lindenwold , New Jersey
saw this video of adding warming gels to the harsher LEDs

https://youtu.be/PeghmvHoJ18
jackpsavidge is offline   Reply With Quote