Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2022, 06:17 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Illuminated rockers / bathroom ground?

I read a few threads about LED switches to tell when they're turned on, but can't seem to track down answers for my '19 25FB.

1. Can I just pull the existing switches out of the faceplate? I removed the entire assembly, but it's not clear if I should just apply force to pop out the switches, or if the rocker below is not actually suited for this job.

2. I bought these rockers: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B002UC6P...t_details&th=1

They have 3 prongs instead of 2 - ground, load, and source/power. I haven't seen wiring referred to as load or source power. How do those map to positive / negative? The wires to the existing rocker are 1) pink and 2) white with stripes. Is pink the positive, and white/stripes the negative?

3. I assume this extra prong means I need to run a ground? Is that right? If so, where can I find a ground in the bathroom? The wires under the sink are a mess.

Thanks in advance!
jcazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 06:49 AM   #2
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
Source/Power is the positive lead from the battery(fuse), load goes to the light, and ground is the negative connection. The ground is necessary to make the rocker switch light up. The closest ground is the skin of the trailer. My switches are held in with screws that are hidden under the bezel on the switch (not sure what AS used on your trailer). Use a test light or volt meter to determine the wiring color code .
Old 11-20-2022, 08:53 AM   #3
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
Yes, you will have to run a ground wire. One of the existing wires is a hot wire and the other one goes to the light.
Old 11-20-2022, 09:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcazes View Post
1. Can I just pull the existing switches out of the faceplate? I removed the entire assembly, but it's not clear if I should just apply force to pop out the switches, or if the rocker below is not actually suited for this job.
The switches have a small tab on the ends that engage the faceplate. Push in and the switch should pop out.

I too bought the lighted switches because it's too easy to leave the WH on and forget.
I have not installed these yet, but I was told there is a ground available in the assembly that controls the WH. (Seems like GMFL made a post to me.)
I downloaded these instructions if you haven't seen them.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...f?v=1619830342
Another consideration, which wouldn't bother me is to realize that IF you turn on the WH on electric, but have no electric power, the light will still illuminate via the 12v. even though the WH is not really on. DUH.
There is a fix for that involving a small circuit board you must add that senses 120 v. but I'm more concerned about leaving it on when I do have power.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 01:57 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ware View Post
Source/Power is the positive lead from the battery(fuse), load goes to the light, and ground is the negative connection. The ground is necessary to make the rocker switch light up. The closest ground is the skin of the trailer. My switches are held in with screws that are hidden under the bezel on the switch (not sure what AS used on your trailer). Use a test light or volt meter to determine the wiring color code .

Yes, you will have to run a ground wire. One of the existing wires is a hot wire and the other one goes to the light.
Thank you! Don't know why I didn't think of using my multimeter. Was definitely having a brain fart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
The switches have a small tab on the ends that engage the faceplate. Push in and the switch should pop out.

I too bought the lighted switches because it's too easy to leave the WH on and forget.
I have not installed these yet, but I was told there is a ground available in the assembly that controls the WH. (Seems like GMFL made a post to me.)
I downloaded these instructions if you haven't seen them.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...f?v=1619830342
Another consideration, which wouldn't bother me is to realize that IF you turn on the WH on electric, but have no electric power, the light will still illuminate via the 12v. even though the WH is not really on. DUH.
There is a fix for that involving a small circuit board you must add that senses 120 v. but I'm more concerned about leaving it on when I do have power.
These instructions are exactly what I need. Still learning how to figure things out on the fly, and wasn't quite getting it on this one. Thank you so much for posting them!
Old 11-20-2022, 06:20 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Popped out the existing switches by pushing from the back (took more force than expected). Ran a ground to the skin. Bought some crimps.

Easy peasy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3333532C-AD9F-438C-B5CC-60735719B34B.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	425604   Click image for larger version

Name:	991CB797-837D-4E78-A405-B0005C05BCA6.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	425605