Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2015, 04:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Ikea Hack: LED Light Retrofit

I have way more important things to do on my trailer, but wanted to have some fun with lighting.

While at IKEA, I picked up a cheap brushed stainless 12" diameter 120v ceiling light fixture. I pulled out the 120v guts and took all the inner workings out of one of the old ceiling lights from my 77 Sovereign and riveted them in to the new fixture. I purchased a new switch from VTS as the original was shot. Now they work as they should. 2 on, 4 on, 6 on, and off. Oh, I also purchased LED's on Amazon. 10 bulbs for approx. $19. Very bright. I like the color of the light.

I didn't use the original glass lens that came with the fixture as I didn't want to take a chance on it vibrating loose and ending up on the floor broken in a thousand shards of glass. So, I took some 1/8" Lexan that I had and cut out a flat circle on my band saw. It was clear Lexan, so I spray painted one side which will face up so as not to get scratched. I drilled a hole in the center so the switch can be easily accessed. The only thing left to do is to find/make a nice little stainless or aluminum knob to cover the brass end of the switch. All in all it was a simple project that cost only around $20.

Pictures of the old fixture and the new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-19 14.49.44.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	236611   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-15 07.31.33.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	236612  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-15 07.45.55.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	236613  

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:11 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Nice! Should do it! I used led strips but may be too much light in that fixture.. Post up some pics!! Also, get an LED driver which will allow control of brightness....if interested...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Hi Sneakin Up,

You were one of my original inspirations when I undertook my remake of the Argosy.

Good to see that you've now adopted one of my ideas too.

See post 338 here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...-18448-25.html

Sergei
Old 04-20-2015, 04:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
Hi Sneakin Up,

You were one of my original inspirations when I undertook my remake of the Argosy.

Good to see that you've now adopted one of my ideas too.

See post 338 here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...-18448-25.html

Sergei
It's good to see that brilliant minds think alike! I hadn't seen your light retrofit, but figured I wasn't the first to think of it. Checked out your link again. Some beautiful work!

CWF- I may try one of those LED drivers on another fixture I am working on. Good idea. Thanks!

Old 04-20-2015, 11:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Nice job Barry! Good to see you making progress- so I take it you're working inside already? Hows the project coming? Pics!!!!

Mic
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixter View Post
Nice job Barry! Good to see you making progress- so I take it you're working inside already? Hows the project coming? Pics!!!!

Mic
Still things to do on the outside, I just need to vary what I am working on to keep myself motivated. All my electrical, both 12v and 120v is all functioning perfectly, so I like to tinker with LEDs. It makes me feel like I am getting somewhere on the inside.

My new water heater arrived last week. That is next on my list. Then lower trim moldings, gas lines, regulator and tanks, some window gaskets, and I will move inside. Too much to do, not enough time.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Yep- sounds alot like my project! I'm in paralysis by analysis mode..... Getting nothing done, wishing for some last dry air before shutting down for the summer heat.

I need to do my side wraps and rub rail too... I bought all new rubrail because the old carefree awning destroyed the old one. I imagine you'll be able to put yours back on? That will make it way easier. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to line up, and bend mine around the corners and make it all straight for drilling.... ugh.
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote