Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2021, 10:31 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Camarillo , CA
How to change a light bulb??? Am I crazy?

We have a 2015 International 23FB and the LED light is out over the sink.

We tried to replace with a new LED but wrong light. This one won't plug in. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We took it all apart and it comes down to the whole unit is hard wired in and soldered and the whole unit needs to be replaced. Don't see any way to just replace the LED unit.

So looks like we have to buy this, cut the wires to the dead light and connect this new unit up. https://led4rv.com/catalog/index.php...roducts_id=557

Are we crazy? This seems like a really complicated way to replace a light bulb. (Yes, I know it's not a bulb--just being a cranky old fashioned person).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3377.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	387997   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3379.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	387998  

aliceblois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Another old cranky person here Its called planned obsolescence.
Why let you simply replace a bulb in the most $$$ trailers made, when they can make some people ( a lot of these owners) have never cut a wire,
so...
make them bring it to the "Dreaded authorized Airstream dealer"
Or, even better, the "Mothership" lol
B. Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
...and if that's not enough, the light becomes discontinued and you cannot find a direct replacement.

Interesting that there appears to be no chafing type protection for those wires coming though a quasi sharp opening.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:29 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Camarillo , CA
Thanks for the replies

Sounds like we are not crazy and are on the right track. Will proceed as planned. Just needed confirmation that we weren't missing something obvious. Thank you thank you!!
aliceblois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:27 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

It's not just RV's that are getting done this way. Buy a newly built home and you may well find that the ceiling lights are done the same way ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:27 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
INDIAN HARBOUR BEACH , Florida
This is part of the environmental conspiracy: much more environmental waste and dangerous metals with replacing an LED fixture vs replacing a bulb. It will only get worse.
PC Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:58 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
Average life of a LED bulb is something in the order of +50,000 hours. Guessing the choice was based on the likelihood of the bulb requiring replacement and production cost. (Two wire hookup, three wire mess up, four wires take it in and have it done )
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
The problem is, those "50,000 hour" LEDs don't really last as long as expected.
The interior lights in my 0213 25FB have all been fine, but I've had five of the 11 outside running lights fail, plus one of the stop/tail lights, and a second stop/tail light is acting up. (no sign of water damage in any of them, btw)
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:08 PM   #9
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceblois View Post
We have a 2015 International 23FB and the LED light is out over the sink.

We tried to replace with a new LED but wrong light. This one won't plug in. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We took it all apart and it comes down to the whole unit is hard wired in and soldered and the whole unit needs to be replaced. Don't see any way to just replace the LED unit.

So looks like we have to buy this, cut the wires to the dead light and connect this new unit up. https://led4rv.com/catalog/index.php...roducts_id=557

Are we crazy? This seems like a really complicated way to replace a light bulb. (Yes, I know it's not a bulb--just being a cranky old fashioned person).
OK, on the assumption that the new LEDs would fit inside the 'fixture' you have, I would bet lunch for the rest of your natural life that the LEDs that you bought from Amazon could be adapted to fit. A little creativity and basic soldering and you're back in business.

Heck, send it to me and I'll make it work for you!

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:22 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Another one of my numb questions....is the line hot?
Don't go thru the replacement and then find out...

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-03-2021, 11:18 PM   #11
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Select the color of light you want, go online and find a roll of LEDs, about $15. Cut the length you need at the marked location, and pencil solder some leads to the indicated terminals. Then pull off the adhesive protection and fasten to where you want it. I have done them and they are still going strong. You can wire them wrong, pay attention to polarity and swap the leads is necessary to get them to light.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:45 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
The interior lights in my 0213 25FB have all been fine, but I've had five of the 11 outside running lights fail, plus one of the stop/tail lights, and a second stop/tail light is acting up. (no sign of water damage in any of them, btw)
Hi

We had multiple LED lights fail inside our Classic. The aftermarket converter charger blew out and it's output went to 20V (after the fuse to the battery blew). That did not do the lights any good.

I would check the power to your running lights if you are blowing out a lot of them .....

Bob
Old 02-07-2021, 10:18 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Comox , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

It's not just RV's that are getting done this way. Buy a newly built home and you may well find that the ceiling lights are done the same way ....

Bob
Very true. At the advise of my electrician I have a box of spare LED recessed ceiling lights so I am not having to replace 20 to keep them all matching if one fails and the originals are discontinued.

Even more import point to consider when picking very expensive LEd pendent lights for your kitchen if you have a row of more than 2 of them. If one fails you going to find you need to buy 4 new ones in order to keep them all matching.
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:49 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Made me think. I have a 2012, and full-time. Never had an interior bulb fail. Have replaced 2 or 3 of the running lights outside, water got into at least one. The red or yellow lenses because cloudy as the plastic degraded so perhaps that ought to be a mass replacement item once every 7 years or so.

Now watch 5 interior bulbs go Poof Just because I bragged. Murphy's Law.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:08 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerngirl View Post
Very true. At the advise of my electrician I have a box of spare LED recessed ceiling lights so I am not having to replace 20 to keep them all matching if one fails and the originals are discontinued.

Even more import point to consider when picking very expensive LEd pendent lights for your kitchen if you have a row of more than 2 of them. If one fails you going to find you need to buy 4 new ones in order to keep them all matching.
Hi

There are 18 ceiling lights in the family room / kitchen here. If one does not match you notice it quickly. When the backup supply of bulbs runs out, it is indeed a fun project to replace them all. It's not just about color temperature. There is a lot of variation from manufacturer to manufacturer even at a specific rating.

One *might* want to stock up on some spares for the trailer while they still are making the lights the same way.

Bob