Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2015, 10:36 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meadow Vista , California
How Much Energy Does A 2015 FB FC Use?

Trying to understand how much energy is used to run my Airstream. Has anyone done an audit of all systems, alarms, lights , heater, refer etc....
Would like to calculate the amount of amps I use and how I can increase production and storage.
Thanks
SilverSinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:10 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2013 25' Flying Cloud
In the Rockies, 6700' , Colorado
I've been trying to gather this same information. This is what I have so far:

Heater Fan - 7.6 amps.
Fantastic Fans (roof vents) - 1.89 amps on low to 3.0 amps on high.
Water pump - 4.0 to 8.7 amps.
Bathroom and Shower vent fan - 1.2 amps

I'm trying to pin down the lights, stove hood light and fan and the Sony radio. So far, haven't been able to find the data. Hopefully someone out there will help us.

Whatever the numbers really are, in order to Boondock in situations down to about 15°F overnight, with short winter days and low sun angle, I am forced to use two 150 watt solar panels and four SRM 24 batteries. In less than optimal sunlight, a generator is required to bring the batteries back to full charge before another overnight. (This is if I want to keep the batteries from reaching less than 60% state of charge or 12.49 volts.)
Minipad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:12 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meadow Vista , California
Thanks for your help, those numbers are per hour correct? I have a chart that shows 60% at 12.2 volts, have I been looking at the wrong numbers?
Thanks
SilverSinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSinbad View Post
Thanks for your help, those numbers are per hour correct? I have a chart that shows 60% at 12.2 volts, have I been looking at the wrong numbers?
Thanks
Depends on what batteries you are talking about. There are NO absolutes, as each battery manufacturer lists different resting voltages for varying state of charge (SOC) levels.

Many battery OEMs use 12.8 as a full battery, but I have seen values from 12.7 to 13.2VDC....depends on the batteries. I have also seen 50% SOC listed anywhere from 12.0-12.2VDC.

Lifeline AGM batteries specify 12.2 as 50% SOC and 12.8-13.2 as 100%

NOTE: these voltages are for lead acid type batteries. These values and SOC readings are quite different for the new LiFePO4 lithium based batteries.

As always.............YMMV!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
How Much Energy Does A 2015 FB FC Use?

I believe you are looking for ampere/hours not amps.
None of the items you list are operating 24/7.
The furnace will consume the most energy per hour of operation. Depending on the heat recovery demand. Due to heat loss in the cabin.
Obviously if you use the vent fans you will be removing air from the coach. Calculating in the radiant heat loss and heat loss because the unit is not air tight. May be difficult.
If the furnace runs for 18 hours out of 24 and it draws 8 amps. It means you are looking at replacing 144 ampere/hours of energy.
If you can estimate the number of hours each device will run. You can get a good grip on what it will take to replace that energy.
Energy conservation is the key here. Every individual has his/her idea of how to conserve and how ridged they are in the practice.
It takes considerably longer to replace the energy consumed than it does to consume it. Because of the finite regeneration capacity. Whether it be solar, shore power or generator.
Obviously as long as you are on shore power and have a converter large enough to handle the actual load along with keeping the battery(s) charged. You won't have a problem. The same goes for a generator. As long as you don't exceed the capacity of the genset. You will be OK.
It does take more diligence where solar power is concerned. Just because a solar panel is rated at 100 watts doesn't mean it will produce the maximum. Cloud cover, angle of the sun, internal losses etc. will reduce it's capacity.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
This post will give you information on the Amp draw of various things in a 2014 FC 20'. You can estimate the hours you will be using any item, and multiply it by the amps to get amp hours (a way of measuring energy).

The original type 24 batteries Airstream supplies will have a capacity of about 75 amp hours each, or 150 amp hours total, but should not be used down to much less than 50% capacity for longest life, therefor you only have about 75 amp hours to work with.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...fc-106815.html
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote