Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

HELP HELP HELP - Wiring Diagram For '73 20ft Argosy

I am chasing electrical gremlins that are preventing my running lights and reverse lights from working. Does anyone out there have a wiring diagram for the '73 Argosys? I need any all all info you can find, trailer-vehicle wiring and trailer wiring. For some reason my running lights are tied into the trailer brake wiring. I'm getting a bit desperate here

Thanks in advance!!!!!
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If no one else beats me I could fax a diagram for a 72 on Monday.

The running, turn, brake lights are a different system than the rest of the 12v in the trailer. So you only need that diagram.

A lot of problems like you are describing are because the 7 way tow/ trailer connections are not matched. Back in the old days the 7 way connections were not standardized like they are now and if you have a newer tow vehicle and the trailer has the original 7 way configuration it won't match. The good news is once you figure out the right wiring combo, it's pretty straight forward.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster View Post
I am chasing electrical gremlins that are preventing my running lights and reverse lights from working. Does anyone out there have a wiring diagram for the '73 Argosys? I need any all all info you can find, trailer-vehicle wiring and trailer wiring. For some reason my running lights are tied into the trailer brake wiring. I'm getting a bit desperate here

Thanks in advance!!!!!
It appears that you have a cross in the wiring some place.

The colors for the 12 wires are as follows, and they remain that way throughout the trailer.

Blue = 12 volt charge line
White = Ground
Brown = Right turn
Black = backup
Green = clearance/tail lights
Red = left turn
Yellow = brakes

That should help you trace out the problem.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

I think I have the mapping down, but I need to know where the wires run after entering the trailer at the A-Frame. Somewhere I think I've got a short that I need to resolve. If I don't get any other responses I'll take you up on that fax offer for Monday.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I think I have the mapping down, but I need to know where the wires run after entering the trailer at the A-Frame. Somewhere I think I've got a short that I need to resolve. If I don't get any other responses I'll take you up on that fax offer for Monday.
The wires can be reached underneath the floor, at the under belly, just behind the front of the shell.

You should find an inspection plate there that's about 8 x 8 inches or so.

That's where the wires are spliced together that come from the umbilical cord and go through out the trailer.

Andy
Old 10-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
See if there is an access panel on the front interior wall opposite where the umbilical plugs into the coach.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

The Saga Continues

Thanks everyone for the valuable inputs. Here's what I've learned thus far:

• My '73 Argosy has neither an inspection/connection plate in the belly pan nor in the interior of the trailer. It looks like they spliced the 7-way trailer cable to the trailer wiring right at the A-frame.
  • The connection/short between the running lights and the electric brake circuit was eliminated by cutting the wire at the splice point between the trailer wiring and the 7-way cable. This tells me that there is some major corrosion in the 7-way cable, so I am replacing that today.
  • I still have no connection to any of the running/brake/backup lights. I'm guessing that I have either a previous owner who was over zealous with wire cutters or possible some small 4 legged rodents to thank. Do these exterior lighting wires run though the belly pan or the shell? I'll probably do some exploratory surgery on the bellypan this evening - wish me luck!!!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the valuable inputs. Here's what I've learned thus far:

• My '73 Argosy has neither an inspection/connection plate in the belly pan nor in the interior of the trailer. It looks like they spliced the 7-way trailer cable to the trailer wiring right at the A-frame.
  • The connection/short between the running lights and the electric brake circuit was eliminated by cutting the wire at the splice point between the trailer wiring and the 7-way cable. This tells me that there is some major corrosion in the 7-way cable, so I am replacing that today.
  • I still have no connection to any of the running/brake/backup lights. I'm guessing that I have either a previous owner who was over zealous with wire cutters or possible some small 4 legged rodents to thank. Do these exterior lighting wires run though the belly pan or the shell? I'll probably do some exploratory surgery on the bellypan this evening - wish me luck!!!!!
The wires are in the center of the ceiling.

Andy
Old 10-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Thanks Andy!!!!

I'll pull a panel or two and go hunting.