Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
Tim Eagle

1995 31' Land Yacht
Sandusky , Michigan
Send a message via MSN to tmeagle1
Question Fuse Continues to Blow in Tow Vehicle

When I replace the fuse in my '04 Chevy Express van the lights on my '85 Airstream work fine. I turn on my headlights once, to see if the lights are still coming on, the lights still work, twice, I think they are still working, and when I get to turning them on the third time the lights discontinue to work. While towing the Airstream the batteries were not in it (rules out the possibility of the batteries sending too much electricity to the fuse of the van and blowing it) the radio fuse is unplugged (just in case it draws too much from the fuse). Now I have it narrowed down a little, but could it be the ground on the plug that plugs into my tow vehicle, or is there a possibility that there's another problem. Thanks for your time.

Tim Eagle
Tim Eagle : Portal of Horror
tmeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Could be the + battery terminal in the trailer touching something in the trailer, like ground.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeagle1
When I replace the fuse in my '04 Chevy Express van the lights on my '85 Airstream work fine. I turn on my headlights once, to see if the lights are still coming on, the lights still work, twice, I think they are still working, and when I get to turning them on the third time the lights discontinue to work. While towing the Airstream the batteries were not in it (rules out the possibility of the batteries sending too much electricity to the fuse of the van and blowing it) the radio fuse is
unplugged (just in case it draws too much from the fuse). Now I have it narrowed down a little, but could it be the ground on the plug that plugs into my tow vehicle, or is there a possibility that there's another problem. Thanks for your time.

Tim Eagle
Could be that the fuse is not rated high enough.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:01 PM   #4
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Smile Hi,

Andy is right. If the fuze holds 2 twice and blows on the third time it is probably to small. Try 5 amps higher. It it holds you solved a the problem, Also ge your self a small amp meter. They inexpencive and will tell you what you are pulling in amps. This will tell you if you do realy have problem. If the fuze holds start disconecting items in the trailer untill you find the high amp draw.
Regards from Russell Tucson Az,
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:55 PM   #5
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
I had the same problem with my Jeep Liberty, we went threw 5 fuses before we found the problem. If its the same problem we had, the wiring to your TV and your Airstream arnt matching up. The plus from the trailer isnt matching the TV.
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
Tim Eagle

1995 31' Land Yacht
Sandusky , Michigan
I replaced the fuse in the van with a 30amp fuse and the same problem persisted, it blew. Is it common for the trailer to run the control panel and the twelve volt systems when plugged into the tow vehicle? Should I start with the simplest solution and change the plug?
Old 07-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #7
Tim Eagle

1995 31' Land Yacht
Sandusky , Michigan
Issue Solved

I replaced the plug on the Airstream and it quit happening. The plug from previous owner was wired incorrectly, two optional wires (probably not the right term) were hooked in shorting out the fuse. Thanks all who responded.

Dark Nest Travels : Blog (if you'd rather read our ramblings and history)