Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #1

1992 34' Limited
Belle River , Ontario
first ceiling light

Hello, I am new to the airstream community so bear with me. My wife and I just purchased a 1992 - 34ft LTD, just love it.
The problem that I have is thatI can not seem to get the front light on the ceiling to come on. There is a switch at the door that says high and low but I haven't found what that controls yet. The only ceiling light that does not work is the one at the door. Is there a position that the light has to be in for the switch to work if it even controls the first ceiling light.
Segue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The high low switch does control the overhead light, but sometimes it takes quite a bit of force to make it turn on. Ours has a definite snap over that occurs. There are actually more than one set of lights in the fixture. It could be all the filaments are broken. Take off the shade and do an ohm check on the bulbs and test the voltage at the sockets. If there is no voltage and the bulbs check out go back and check the fuse.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
A photo of the light might help, too. I was assuming that the light in question was a fluorescent fixture like the one in my 1983 Excella. Broken filaments like dwightdi suggested would apply to one with incandescent bulbs.

The ThinLite fixtures in my Excella are different from the usual fixtures that have a couple of commonly available 12" tubes. They require an unusual size tube that is more difficult to find. My experience with these fixtures is that they are unusually unreliable. All ThinLite products seem to have short ballast and tube life, but especially those in the light fixtures that also serve as vent covers.