Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2018, 03:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
SAN FRANCISCO , California
Exterior Door Light Question

Hi Folks,

We've got a 2018 International Signature 30 foot trailer. We had a door handle upgrade done when we took delivery of the trailer to have the more robust and lighted handle from the Classic installed next to the door on the exterior. The light for the handle is controlled by the same rocker-switch that controls the exterior over-the-door light. I get the bright task light might be useful. However, it's so bright that we really don't feel right leaving that light on when we walk away for an hour or so after dark. Thus, our lit handle doesn't stay on either.

So I've got a couple of ideas and I don't know which might be easiest/most doable:

Can the bulb/element of the exterior door be changed for either a lower brightness or different color LED light?

Has anyone used the plastic lighting gel they use in theaters or TV studios to change the color temperature of the light by lining the interior of the light?

For the short term, we'll probably just tape-up some gel to the exterior over the door light to change the color to something less intrusive.

I've read some discussion about the exterior lighting replacement and upgrades on older Airstreams but I didn't find anything specific to our issue around our trailer model/year.

We appreciate any ideas you all might have.

Spatters
spatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I'd be tracing the wiring and adding another switch so the door handle is controlled separate from the porch light......

They do make LED assemblies for the porch light.

Try LEDS4RV as a source...there are several ways to go. I swapped out the bulb to a multi-LED assembly that plugs right in...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote