Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2017, 01:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
2023 30' Flying Cloud
2021 30' Flying Cloud
Green Bay , Wisconsin
Electrical outlet cover

I need to replace the cover on my outside electrical outlet. I removed the two screws on the outlet. I couldn't pull the outlet out to remove the wires to get the outlet off so I could replace the cover.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0344.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	297059

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0343.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	297060 I couldn't even move the assembly, what holds the assembly in place?
I have not seen an outlet like this with the screws in opposite corners? Can anyone give me information on replacement parts?
JandLSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Hi, JandLSafari, welcome to the forums. Greetings from central Kentucky.

I have not had to replace the plug but I have seen others post in here that it's a real bear to get the old one out. It's more or less glued in there. The step light is the same way. (I suspect it's something akin to the old Captain Kangaroo stuff: Fish hide and whale blubber glue )

I think (but don't guarantee) that they had to pull the plug out as far as they could get, then used a knife to start cutting away at the glue/caulk/whatever.

I found some old threads, maybe this can provide some insight
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...let-52847.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ion-90677.html
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Mine had half a pound of caulking compound holding it in. I had to use a hack saw blade and knife to get most of it out.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Went to replace the shore power receptacle with a ‘smart plug’ version. Gobs of caulk holding it in once I removed the screws. Took forever to get it loose, 20 minutes to put the new one in. Sigh. Of course the backside is covered by the shower enclosure and can’t be gotten to easily. Grump, grump...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Try dental floss too cut around it. It may be too tough for the floss but worth a try.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Electrical outlet cover

I got it off by breaking the old white plastic backshell out in small pieces with a hammer and cheap wood chisel, then cutting the remaining caulk with a sharp utility knife. Sailor vocabulary wasn’t much help, but made me feel better.

This stuff was gray, thick and well cured. Dental floss would have not worked, but I’ll file that idea and remember it for the old Television antenna replacement job coming up... Gratuitous violence and big tools did...and I managed not to dent or scratch the side of the AS. Minor miracle, but I’ll take it [emoji3][emoji3]
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:03 AM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by JandLSafari View Post
I have not seen an outlet like this with the screws in opposite corners? Can anyone give me information on replacement parts?
Those are a fairly standard RV outlet that attaches to the wiring using insulation displacement connectors so that the wiring does not need to be cut and stripped. Any RV supply place will have them, either online or a physical shop.

As others have posted, the caulk makes it hard to remove things like this. In addition to the other tricks mentioned, you may find that a heat gun will help soften it enough to allow it to be removed. Be careful, though, as there is a risk of fire.