Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2017, 09:07 PM   #1
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Easy Fix for warming up those bright LED lights

I actually picked up this idea somewhere a year and a half ago, maybe here on the forums or somewhere else...in any case, to the OP, if you're out there, thanks. I finally got around to it a month and a half ago. This was an easy $7 modification that changed my evenings and nights!

I couldn't stand the color of the LED lighting in my 2104 FC...even with the dimmer at lowest setting the color was just too bright and blueish for me. Rather than replace all the lights with 'warmer' LED's, which would cost a few bucks, I instead used theater lighting gel sheet, which is just a thin sheet of colored plastic, which is available in all kinds of colors/tints. Below is the link for what I used.

I removed the lens from each ceiling puck, and using the glass lens as a template, use an exacto knife to cut round circles of gel. You could just use scissors but the knife was easy. Then I installed two pieces (one wasn't enough for my taste) on the inside of the glass. There are little tabs that hold the glass in place, I slid the edge of the gel pieces under there just to help hold them flat.

The difference was AMAZING. The interior of the coach went from harsh, bluish white, to a warm, incandescent color. Plenty bright for general lighting, and really nice for ambient if the dimmer is engaged.

In the bedroom of my FC 23 FB, I actually used 3 sheets in each lens, to make it even less bright in there on the low dim setting.

For the larger lights over the kitchen sink and dinette, I cut sheets to fit the inside of the plastic lens housings, and used some craft tacky spray to secure the film to the inside of the plastic lens.

Super happy with how it turned out, as I am picky about lighting and can't stand harsh, bright light. Even the cabinetry in the Flying Cloud looks so much nicer and warmer. Not to mention people!

The LED lights generate so little heat, there is no issue with the gel heating up and melting or burning. I've had mine in for a few trips and they are working great with no issues.

One roll was enough to do 2 layers in all my main area pucks and 3 layers in the four bedroom pucks, as well as one layer in the kitchen, dinette, and bathroom fixtures.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...m=Y&sku=166181
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
I actually picked up this idea somewhere a year and a half ago, maybe here on the forums or somewhere else...in any case, to the OP, if you're out there, thanks. I finally got around to it a month and a half ago. This was an easy $7 modification that changed my evenings and nights!

I couldn't stand the color of the LED lighting in my 2104 FC...even with the dimmer at lowest setting the color was just too bright and blueish for me. Rather than replace all the lights with 'warmer' LED's, which would cost a few bucks, I instead used theater lighting gel sheet, which is just a thin sheet of colored plastic, which is available in all kinds of colors/tints. Below is the link for what I used.

pcskier interesting tip. Just to confirm you used orange as in the link? I'm color blind and would be interested in hearing how or why you settled on orange.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:

pcskier interesting tip. Just to confirm you used orange as in the link? I'm color blind and would be interested in hearing how or why you settled on orange.

Bob
Old 06-07-2017, 09:34 PM   #4
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post

Bob
Yes Bob I used the film that I linked to. Resulted in a very pleasant warm light.

I think I had run across it on a blog somewhere, so that's why I tried it. I've read of some other colors people have used. It might be possible even to use a darker tint so as not using 2 layers like I did, but this tint allows you to try one layer, and if you want more warmth/tint, add another. Or even three layers, which I did in the bedroom area. I did leave my two reading lamps in the bedroom alone because I can't figure out how to remove the lens from those.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:43 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Boise , Idaho
Thanks!

Couldn't agree more that the LED's cool tones are just not comfy. My Serenity has a few paper shade lamps and it helps, but this is a great idea, thanks for sharing!

-Adam
afk314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Yes Bob I used the film that I linked to. Resulted in a very pleasant warm light.

I think I had run across it on a blog somewhere, so that's why I tried it. I've read of some other colors people have used. It might be possible even to use a darker tint so as not using 2 layers like I did, but this tint allows you to try one layer, and if you want more warmth/tint, add another. Or even three layers, which I did in the bedroom area. I did leave my two reading lamps in the bedroom alone because I can't figure out how to remove the lens from those.

pcskier, many thanks. Orange...go figure. My wife has commented on the lights many times and she is also in charge of things with a color. I'm thinking I'll pass this on to her.

Bob

p.s. my apologies for the dupe post. It seemed to stall on the load so I backed out and re-posted. oooops.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:23 PM   #7
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
pcskier, many thanks. Orange...go figure. My wife has commented on the lights many times and she is also in charge of things with a color. I'm thinking I'll pass this on to her.
It sounds odd but believe me she will love it if she is looking for more of an incandescent look. I was amazed and very happy with it, and for under $10, it was a no-brainer.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Yup. That's the right stuff. You can add diffusion to remove the refraction of the leds as well. The warm LEDs I ordered online were the right color temp (3600K) but the bumps in the puck lamp lenses exacerbated green lines from the led segment edges. Made people look kinda sick. So I added frost diffusion using the same method, placing in the puck lens. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ter.html<br />

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:08 PM   #9
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
Yup. That's the right stuff. You can add diffusion to remove the refraction of the leds as well. The warm LEDs I ordered online were the right color temp (3600K) but the bumps in the puck lamp lenses exacerbated green lines from the led segment edges. Made people look kinda sick. So I added frost diffusion using the same method, placing in the puck lens. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/166135-REG/Gam_GC10_20x24_GamFusion_10_Filter.html
Good to know for those with those type of lenses in the pucks. In my 2014, the lenses are 'smooth and clear' for lack of a better description...no refractive edges on the lens.

I was in a friend's 2007 last week and noticed that their lenses had the refractive pattern that you're describing.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Pcskier - thanks for sharing. Could you post some pics of what it looks like inside your trailer with the lights on? Just curious to see what the difference is. I have a 2012 and the LEDs are sort of "hospital" like... [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:23 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I hope the Airstream folks at the factory are following this and perhaps offer buyers options about type of LEDs they want in their Airstreams. I plan to buy a 25' Serenity this year and it would be nice if the lighting was, well, uh, serene - as in a warm, incandescent sort of way.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:55 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
This is an earlier thread on the topic along with pictures I posted of the gels and how to install. Really helped get away from that Walmart lighting look.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37...ml#post1862490
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:00 PM   #13
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Pcskier - thanks for sharing. Could you post some pics of what it looks like inside your trailer with the lights on? Just curious to see what the difference is. I have a 2012 and the LEDs are sort of "hospital" like... [emoji3]
See the post a couple more down from abqdor and follow their link...they have a pic. Mine's in storage at the moment. I should have taken before and after pics. But believe me, the difference is dramatic!
Old 06-09-2017, 12:31 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Hi-yes, a great way to go. We posted here when we did the same back in 2010-2011 to our new 2009 Ocean Breeze 28. Another way to cut is to buy a "compass" from an art supply store..You use the sharo pointed end to Lin down the sheet of lens filter, and the exacting mounted on the end of the other arm to cut out the circles.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:33 AM   #15

2006 28' Safari SE
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Thank you!

Thank you so much for this post!! I've ordered the film and can't wait to simply and inexpensively transform the lighting in my 2016 FC!!!
Pjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:40 AM   #16
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
I did this and it is excellent. Boy I sure hated those icy blue lights... Now they're nice and warm and I can actually turn em on without cursin.

Thanks, y'all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170701_073907.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	288559  
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:50 AM   #17
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
I hope the Airstream folks at the factory are following this and perhaps offer buyers options about type of LEDs they want in their Airstreams. I plan to buy a 25' Serenity this year and it would be nice if the lighting was, well, uh, serene - as in a warm, incandescent sort of way.
Worst thing about these trailers is that awful blue lighting. I almost cried the first time I turned em on. I never once used the bedroom lights til I fixed em with the gels. Instant headache. Still haven't figure out how to replace this 'readin light' in the bedroom. The bulb sticks out so ya can't gel it. I just use it to hang stuff from cause turnin it on makes me weep. I wanna switch it with somethin warm.

Good news is the serenity has two warm lights at the dinette. I only used those til I geled the rest.

Also to turn on the hallway light by the bathroom and shower, ya gotta go all the way to the entry of the trailer and turn on all of the kitchen lights. 8 lights in 2 rooms controlled by just one switch.

Airstream clearly don't know much about lighting.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:14 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Hi there, can anyone tell me how to get the puck light in the dining room table off.
mjsully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:23 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
I just added the film to our 2018 Bambi. Probably the best thing I've done for her yet. Here are before and after pictures.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED Before.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	616.6 KB
ID:	302877   Click image for larger version

Name:	LED After.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	641.7 KB
ID:	302878  

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:17 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Wow, what a difference. From hospital cold to warm and comfy.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote