Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2015, 09:09 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Dimmable Recessed 12v LED Lights?

Hello,

I'm considering adding some overhead lighting to our '79 Excella 500 while it's under the knife (gutted at this point). There are some areas where I'd like to install Dimmable 12v LED lights.

I've read that LED lights, unlike conventional non-LED or CFL bulbs, require special circuitry in order from them to be able to dim. So my questions are these:
  1. Has anyone installed dimmable LED lights in their AS? If so, can you point me to a brand or model number?
  2. I'm guessing I need a special 12v wall switch for this... perhaps something like this one (below) from LEDSupply.com.
  3. Are there any other components (external power suppliers, converters, "drivers", etc...) that I need to use a dimmer with LED lighting? I'm totally new at this...

trekerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Contact Dan at led4rv.com
Tell him what you want to do. He know his stuff.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:28 PM   #3
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Many 12V puck lights contain internal circuitry to insure a constant light output as the input voltage varies over a great range - sometimes from 8 to 30V. These will not work w/ dimmers. You need a simpler setup, where a dropping resistor is used. These lights can be dimmed w/ the standard pulse width modulated dimmers. Some also have more sophisticated circuits that take input voltage into account and directly vary the LED current to control light output. I've not used puck-style lights - our vintage Airstream got indirect LED strips and recessed task lighting LEDs - so I don't have sources for these.

I've used the following dimmer (from a different supplier) with good success:

http://www.amazon.com/Dimming-Contro.../dp/B007V1B0W8.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Bump to follow...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:46 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Asheboro , North Carolina
Try Thin Lite 12 v dim able LED lights. I bought 4 of them. All of the dim feature is internal. I connected them to existing wall switch. They have a memory and go back to where you set them. Dimmer is on the fixture. Nice warm white light. A little pricey but includes every thing and very thin

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Some of the factory installed LED's on our 2014 are dim-able so I know it's possible.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:17 AM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I second contacting Dan at LED4RV. I was in a Lance TT this weekend that had LED flush mount lights on a dimmer. No clue as to what brand.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:24 AM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
"Barts" is on the right path. I have installed 3 of these in our AS ... they are "LED Driver" circuitry.

You do NOT have to keep them inside the plastic box... I did.. but you don't have to.
I have pics of the installed items, along with some shots of the flexibility of this lighting. PM if interested.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:21 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Thanks for the replies everyone. Because I have a blank slate for the interior restoration, we opted for:
  • An LED Flex Strip (12v, Dimmable) either diffused or not directly visible
  • Not sure on the dimmer switch yet (either this one or this one)
  • And for the lights destined for cabinets that don't require dimming we'll use magnetic switches (like these or these) to just turn on the LED lights when the cabinet door is opened.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Those are nice. However, you realize you will need adequate depth to mount those? It appears they are similar to the ones we referenced as 'surface' mount... But, they do look much 'cleaner'...so I can see why you are attracted to them.

If mine, I might mount a shallow surface box so you don't have to cut a huge rectangle in the wall.

The 'magnetic' switches also have 'limited' power handling capability.. I did not see how much they can handle.. but... I may not have been able to read well enough and just missed it.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:52 PM   #11
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
FYI, my '12 28' Intl CCD had several sets of dimmable lighting in the overhead puck lights. They worked well. My new '15 Classic also has LED's in the ceiling but there isn't a single dimmable light in the entire trailer. Interesting.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:01 PM   #12

1978 23' Safari
Chanhassen , Minnesota
I am installing LEDs from IKEA... they are already 12Volt.can be chained together and offer dimmable puck size units. Prices are from $14 to $49.
DanHoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Take a looksee over on Amazon, lots of LED bulbs and fixtures and many are fairly cheap. Wiring LED lights is one step more complicated than standard 12v bulbs, you just have to get the polarity right since they are diodes and wont work if the + and - are backwards.

They have small puck lights, recessed lights and my favorite, strip lights. Here are a couple of examples, they are all under 10 bucks each. Search amazon for 12v led recessed lighting.

I just picked up an exterior LED flexible light strip that I'm going to try and use right below the awning for 10 bucks that came today. It has a plastic coating on all the LED's and hopefully will be fairly durable and is supposed to be waterproof and I hope weatherproof. For that price I dont think I could go too far wrong. When installed it should look something like this

I've used the strip lights on the inside to provide a diffuse wall wash effect, here are a couple of photos:

Over the two side windows:

On the right, above the cabinet and below shining down on the counter:

I'm planning on putting the strip lights on top of all the cabinets to wash the ceiling with light and on the inside of the closets. BTW, use a microswitch to turn them on and off, not a magnetic switch. A microswitch can handle the current just fine and has a small throw. You can get these at Amazon or at a local radio shack or electrical parts store for a couple of bucks each. Even if they are rated for 110v, no problem all you have is 12v. Just make sure they are normally open when there is no pressure on the lever.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:36 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Asheboro , North Carolina
Great pics. That looks very nice
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:02 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquinob View Post
I've used the strip lights on the inside to provide a diffuse wall wash effect, here are a couple of photos:
Thanks for the helpful photos Bob! Nicely done! Can you tell me what color lights you used (i.e. 2700k, 3500k, etc...)?

Tags
12v