Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Clearance light questions

One of my springtime projects is going to be the replacement of the rusted steel running and clearance lights on my trailer with some new ones. It looks like the ones at Vintage Trailer Supply will do the job but they don't really identify them. Are VTS lights actually Pathfinder #662 lights and do they match the holes on the originals? Also what's the best way to make sure everything seals if I install these , since if it's the 662's they don't have any gaskets for the lens ,base ,or screw that holds the lens in place.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I'm not sure about your 63 but I got some double bulls eye LEDs from Vintage that look real sharp. Holes line up the same. I had to make gaskets out of 1/8" rubber gasket material I got from a local auto parts store. Since the LEDs were sealed units they didn't include gaskets but I needed them to get the needed clearance for the wiring.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Clearance lights

I replaced all of my teardrop clearance lights with Vintage trailer Supply #VTS-214. Same as original except aluminum base instead of steel.

As with any vintage job, a simple replacement of parts job can turn into a two day major project. If you plan to polish the trailer, all the areas extending two inches around the lights should be fiished polished first.

Then after rewiring, making sure all lights work, used Vulken sealant to plug the wire hole and as the gasket for the light plate to the trailer. I also put vulkem on the stainless steel replacement sheet metal screws.

My wire holes did NOT line up with the new teardrops, so after freaking out a bit I just tryed it by laying the wire down flat and let it bend into the original holes. I was not going to drill more new holes. The aluminum base plates are flexible and with the vulkem gasket sealing between it looks flat to the surface. This may have only been three of the ten clearance lights that did not line up as I think of it now, or I would have broke out the drill.
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Here is a source for 662's that are a different size than the ones VTS has.

Teardrop Clearance Light from PPL for Sale

Also these if you can handle a little different design but get a rubber base

Trailer Parts Superstore - Model 26® Rubber Mount Marker Light # 26765Y
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:10 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I got a full set of them for our 63, they look and work great. they fit the holes already in the skin, and being aluminum they won't rust like the originals. They were relatively inexpensive, too, something like $5 or so each.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
overlander 63, so you used the VTS lights? Are they a single hot wire with the light base being the ground or do they have a ground wire? If these are what I need ,sounds like another thing my wife could get me for Christmas.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:39 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air
overlander 63, so you used the VTS lights? Are they a single hot wire with the light base being the ground or do they have a ground wire? If these are what I need ,sounds like another thing my wife could get me for Christmas.
Yes, single hot wire, grounded through the attaching screws. Easy install, you just need a couple of tools, like wire crimpers and a screwdriver.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Sounds like a Christmas present for me. When I first got the GT at an auction ,spending lots of our money, her exact words to my neighbor were " oh S#*t he got it" . Now she loves it .