Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2021, 04:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Nanoose Bay , British Columbia
Ceiling LED bulb replacement 2016 Flying Cloud

One of the LED bulbs in the 4 dimmable ceiling spot (pot?) lights is out in the bedroom ceiling of our 2016 Flying Cloud 25 FB Twin. It's the nearly flush 3"+ diameter chrome-ish fixture with a frosted lens about 1.5" diameter in the centre. I need to know:

1. how to get the fixture down/open,
2. what bulb replaces the failed LED,
3. where to get the bulb (I'm on Vancouver Island in Canada).

If I grab the circumference of the whole fixture and gently pull down, the fixture comes away from the ceiling about ¾" and comes to a stop. As I pull it feels like it's being resisted by something springlike . I hesitate to pull harder to see if it's a spring/clip type latch without asking whether someone has done it before.

My handy-dandy Parts Manual (page II-33) gives this description for the LED (I think):

"Part 512718 Spotlight, Recessed, LED"

But there's no diagram, so not very helpful.

Anyone done this before?

Gary
gnijman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:47 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
I also found this link to a USA replacement

https://highskyrvparts.com/new-airst...ght-led-512463

Do I have to replace the whole fixture for $48 USD?!

Gary
Old 10-23-2021, 06:02 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
As far as I know, yes you do. Crazy design I know. The bulb is retained by two spring clips inside the skin of the trailer.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:24 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist View Post
As far as I know, yes you do. Crazy design I know. The bulb is retained by two spring clips inside the skin of the trailer.
Thanks. In looking online for replacement units I found this helpful 2017 Airforum thread. I didn't find it in my search before I started a new thread.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...ns-146801.html

Gary
Old 10-23-2021, 06:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
If you are not wedded to the exact pattern of the Airstream version, there are a number of 12v recessed lights that might be a good substitute. Some examples are listed below (note that the prices are for more than one light).

Tim

https://www.amazon.com/acegoo-Recess...012KCNN5O?th=1
https://www.amazon.com/Ceiling-Reces...07544JW2F?th=1
https://acegoo.myshopify.com/product...-3-5-5w-4-pack
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 10:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
If you are not wedded to the exact pattern of the Airstream version, there are a number of 12v recessed lights that might be a good substitute. Some examples are listed below (note that the prices are for more than one light).

Tim

https://www.amazon.com/acegoo-Recess...012KCNN5O?th=1
https://www.amazon.com/Ceiling-Reces...07544JW2F?th=1
https://acegoo.myshopify.com/product...-3-5-5w-4-pack
Great point Tim A. Buying 4 lights and replacing all of the bedroom ones can be less expensive than getting one light from Airstream. I found a six light pack at a big box hardware store a couple of years ago. It was half price - being a discontinued style, and I THOUGHT it was a perfect match for the Airstream. Not so. But now I have a flickering light that is fine after about 3 minutes in the bedroom and when it goes, can replace it imperfectly, or do all 4 AND have 3 replacements waiting for the main living area when one fails there. BTW this is a 2012 and the first fixture is JUST failing and I full time. Incandescent and fluorescent and xenon can all kiss my untamed donkey!
OTOH, If you can do very fine soldering and scrounge for parts, you can replace just the LED part... but frankly the effort may fail or take hours to do, so buying a whole fixture makes sense in a time vs. money world.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:06 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Great point Tim A. Buying 4 lights and replacing all of the bedroom ones can be less expensive than getting one light from Airstream. I found a six light pack at a big box hardware store a couple of years ago. It was half price - being a discontinued style, and I THOUGHT it was a perfect match for the Airstream. Not so. But now I have a flickering light that is fine after about 3 minutes in the bedroom and when it goes, can replace it imperfectly, or do all 4 AND have 3 replacements waiting for the main living area when one fails there. BTW this is a 2012 and the first fixture is JUST failing and I full time. Incandescent and fluorescent and xenon can all kiss my untamed donkey!
OTOH, If you can do very fine soldering and scrounge for parts, you can replace just the LED part... but frankly the effort may fail or take hours to do, so buying a whole fixture makes sense in a time vs. money world.
Hi

If you go the "solder in a new LED" route, you will need to identify the exact part they used originally. If you put something else in there, the light is likely to look odd compared to the other fixtures ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:26 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
We've bought many LED lights & fixtures for the AS,house and vehicles here.

I've found buying quality pays off in the long run.👍

Bob
🇺🇸