Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2022, 05:42 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
McMinnville , Oregon
Can't find and reset GFI to turn plugs back on

Greetings,
We have a 2010 FB 23F Flying Cloud. There are tree plugs that run off a GFI, above the kitchen sink, in the bathroom and the plug that runs the refrigerator. They stoped working yesterday while we were out camping and I just can't seem to get them to work again. Where is the GFI for these plugs? I found one in the fuse/circuit breaker box but it doesn't seem to make a difference when I hit the reset button. Any suggestions? Do I need to pull out that circuit with GFI out and replace it?
Much thanks in advance for your expert advice.
Cameron
curnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:50 PM   #2
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by curnes View Post
Greetings,
We have a 2010 FB 23F Flying Cloud. There are tree plugs that run off a GFI, above the kitchen sink, in the bathroom and the plug that runs the refrigerator. They stoped working yesterday while we were out camping and I just can't seem to get them to work again. Where is the GFI for these plugs? I found one in the fuse/circuit breaker box but it doesn't seem to make a difference when I hit the reset button. Any suggestions? Do I need to pull out that circuit with GFI out and replace it?
Much thanks in advance for your expert advice.
Cameron
The GFCI circuit breaker does not have a reset button, that is a test button. To reset you need to force the breaker to the off position then switch it back on. Pushing the white button will only cause it to trip, as intended.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
The GFCI circuit breaker does not have a reset button, that is a test button. To reset you need to force the breaker to the off position then switch it back on. Pushing the white button will only cause it to trip, as intended.
Yup! x2.
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Unfortunately the outlets also seem to fail. We had one on our outdoor patio fail, one in the AS, and then to confound it, the brand new GFCI outlet I installed in our AS was bad. Finally got it sorted out. When the one in our AS bathroom went out, none of the other outlets would work until we replaced that with (second try) a good one.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:55 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

So .... backing up a bit:

A GFCI looks for leakage current to ground. If it sees leakage, it trips.

Leakage can be from somebody grabbing a wire ( yikes !!! ) or it can be from a spider web inside an outlet. The GFCI has no way of telling one from the other.

These outlets are typically daisy chained together. One device protects multiple outlets. Dirt in any outlet can trip the device and turn off all the outlets. The device has no way to just turn off one outlet and let the others run.

Resetting the typical GFCI device requires that power be present. In an RV, this isn't always the case. Cycling the device with no power applied may not reset the gizmo.

The outlets that go downstream of a GFCI device are no different than any other outlet in the trailer (other than a sticker ....). There is nothing at all special about them. All of the smarts are in the single GFCI device that is "upstream" of those outlets.

First step in any RV GFCI mystery is to spray clean the outlets with your favorite "stuff". WD40 is one choice. There are others. Only use sprays designed for this sort of thing. A normal cleaning spray like Windex or 409 will cause all sorts of problems.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:00 AM   #6
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post

A GFCI looks for leakage current to ground. If it sees leakage, it trips.
The OP has a GFCI breaker which can also trip on overload, not just a ground fault.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Cameron, in my older 25FB this happened to me. I went to the circuit breaker box and tried to reset the GFCI breaker and nothing happened. I replaced the breaker and bingo, the wife thinks it was magic. These, as all other breakers, can go bad for whatever reason. Mine did and it was an easy fix.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 11:10 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
McMinnville , Oregon
Thanks for all the responses. I reset the breaker with the power off and that seemed to do the trick. As alway, I learned a bunch from your responses and will be better equipped to repair the next problem.
curnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by curnes View Post
Greetings,
We have a 2010 FB 23F Flying Cloud. There are tree plugs that run off a GFI, above the kitchen sink, in the bathroom and the plug that runs the refrigerator.

Cameron, congrats on the fix. Just a follow up, in our 20, the exterior dupe is part of the GFIC circuit

Go Dux/Beavs
Old 07-11-2023, 10:34 AM   #10

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Still confused

2017 rbt 25’ fc

I just had soft start put in. Tried last night for first time, it stopped after 10 min or so. I was plugged in at home with pigtail. Power on microwave went off, I was not using it, I could just see the red numbers. The control box said E7 which is power. Went to garage outlet fine. Working. Got back to AS my surge guard protect thingy was all green, microwave back to display on.

It is a fuse or a breaker

Should shore power be on or off to check.

Thank you.leaving tomorrow of course.
Begorragirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 11:14 AM   #11
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begorragirl View Post
2017 rbt 25’ fc

I just had soft start put in. Tried last night for first time, it stopped after 10 min or so. I was plugged in at home with pigtail. Power on microwave went off, I was not using it, I could just see the red numbers. The control box said E7 which is power. Went to garage outlet fine. Working. Got back to AS my surge guard protect thingy was all green, microwave back to display on.

It is a fuse or a breaker

Should shore power be on or off to check.

Thank you.leaving tomorrow of course.
What control box are you talking about? Is this the one that protects your 120v system like the EMS unit made by Progressive Industries? If so, the E7 error code seems to indicate high frequency on the incoming power. If you get an error code on the EMS it will cut power to the trailer until the problem resolves.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote