Old 09-22-2020, 04:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Longwood , Florida
Blinking Running Lights when Boondocking

Just picked up my 2014 Flying Cloud 20FB. I overnighted at Jackson Center with it leaving it all hitched up and connected to the TV boondocking because I wanted to just take off without making much noise when I woke up. Noticed running lights blinking every 3 seconds or so. Not full brightness, just a couple of the LEDs in each light.

Anybody know what this indicates? Thx
RogerBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:04 AM   #2
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
Your trailer A7 plug is either wet or dirty. Clean and see if this condition subsides.
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
No first hand knowledge, but I have read on the forum that some of the newer model trucks send a pulse regularly through the electrical connection. Is your truck plugged-in to the 7-way? You should not leave it plugged in when parked for any length of time, although that is brand dependent.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:05 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
That you are trying to call attention to yourself and irritate the other campers? (Just kidding, there was a very lively thread on bright lights recently)
Does it only occur with the trailer plugged into the TV?
What is your TV?
I often pull the cord, and just the cord, to avoid unforeseen results, such as running down the TV battery. (I ALWAYS glance at the side marker light on the trailer to ensure I remembered to plug it back in before driving off!)
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Blinking Running Lights when Boondocking

Agree with glcmranger.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:51 AM   #6
Is it January yet?

Currently Looking...
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBart View Post
Just picked up my 2014 Flying Cloud 20FB. I overnighted at Jackson Center with it leaving it all hitched up and connected to the TV boondocking because I wanted to just take off without making much noise when I woke up. Noticed running lights blinking every 3 seconds or so. Not full brightness, just a couple of the LEDs in each light.

By any chance, are you towing with a late-model GM tow vehicle? This is a common feature of these vehicles related to the "trailer alarm" functionality. The truck sends a periodic pulse to check if the trailer plug is still connected. With incandescent bulbs, it's generally not enough "juice" to light anything up. Trailer with LED bulbs show a very quick flash.
ProPride 3P w/ 1400 lb. spring bars
jaybauman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Yeah. As stated, don't leave the plug in. We did that one time, the trailer battery was weak, and it drew down the TV battery. Had to get a jump to start in the morning. You can leave the hitch, chains, breakaway in place, but pull the plug when parked overnight.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:00 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
sounds like a ground thing..........
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:02 AM   #9
BeemerPilot

1975 29' Ambassador
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by glcmranger View Post
Your trailer A7 plug is either wet or dirty. Clean and see if this condition subsides.
Agree with this as a first step.

When we have to disconnect at night, we sometimes put a small 4" jumper wire onto the 7-way trailer plug to light up the clearance lights. Gives enough lights when I need both hands without holding a flashlight (I hate those ballcap lights). Good luck! Can't wait to find out your results.
BeemerPilot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:42 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
I agree with Larry & Jay. Security pulse from TV.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:06 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Longwood , Florida
And the answer is....

And the answer is (drum roll please)...

Goes away when disconnected from the TV, which is a 2014 MB GL350.

I kind of dig it though... being that obnoxious guy with the faintly blinking running lights. Everybody comes up to tell me my lights are blinking, and that starts the conversations! LOL

Thanks to all for weighing in.

Roger Bart
Old 09-26-2020, 10:07 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Longwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
That you are trying to call attention to yourself and irritate the other campers? (Just kidding, there was a very lively thread on bright lights recently)
Does it only occur with the trailer plugged into the TV?
What is your TV?
I often pull the cord, and just the cord, to avoid unforeseen results, such as running down the TV battery. (I ALWAYS glance at the side marker light on the trailer to ensure I remembered to plug it back in before driving off!)
Yep... you were right GetawA-S, evidently I was calling attention to myself! LOL
Old 09-30-2020, 11:19 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Venice , Florida
Sounds right

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybauman View Post
By any chance, are you towing with a late-model GM tow vehicle? This is a common feature of these vehicles related to the "trailer alarm" functionality. The truck sends a periodic pulse to check if the trailer plug is still connected. With incandescent bulbs, it's generally not enough "juice" to light anything up. Trailer with LED bulbs show a very quick flash.
My DenaliHD is a ‘20 and I get the “security pulse” if I stay connected.
LivinRiveted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:42 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Hanover , Pennsylvania
My classic also pluses the center side lights along with the rear lights when connected to my Chevy 2500. I notice it when I parked in front of my house before leaving for a trip. I have had the neighbors who also have trailer comment with all thinking it was great. It is not real bright but catches your attention that the trailer is parked on the rode.
rlyoung1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:05 AM   #15

2012 23' International
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBart View Post

I had fast blinking tail lights on our 23 ft International when pulling it with a VW Touareg. The tail light and turn signals on the Airstream also did not function. The problem was that Airstream pulled by VW's, BMW, and Mercedes (German manufacturers) needed an plus adaptor for the trailer plug-to-tow vehicle. They are available at RV dealers for about $28 and that solved my problem.
I liked the Touareg however we upgraded to a Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.3 liter Hemi and that problem does not occur with this Jeep. Good luck.
Fred Gientke is offline   Reply With Quote