Old 09-29-2020, 10:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Blinking lights when water pump running

2020 Bambi 20’ with two fully charged AGM batteries. This is only happening when running off battery, not off shore electric, so seems it is not related to loose wiring connections. Is this just due to water pump cycle grab of part of battery power? Thanks, stephen
smsasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:17 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
clean connections, maybe

You mention the batteries are fully charged. Without knowing if that is reported on the internal monitor or a hand voltage meter at the battery, I'll suggest you check the battery terminal connections anyway. If there is corrosion between the wire terminal and the battery terminal, it will impede power flow at load. Might look clean, but it's cheap to shine them up with a little sandpaper.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:26 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
We have a similar issue. When the galley light over the sink is on and the pump kicks on, the light flickers. I believe it is some sort of interference to the LED. I think I will try changing out the lamp to see if it does it with an incandescent lamp.

2017 25' Safari FB - “Fly Fish Inn
2010 F250 Lariat
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
As the pump gets loaded up with pressure just before it shuts off it draws more current in pulses. LEDs respond to low voltage instantaneously, incandescents and fluorescents do not. I had no pulsing with my flourescents but when I replaced them with LED strips I got pulsing.

The clue here is it doesn’t do it on shore power. Pjshier has it right. Make sure the battery terminal connections are clean, shiny and tight. Check the battery connections at the power distribution panel. All the wiring from then on is the same in either case. The only other option is bad batteries, fully charged but high resistance.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:52 AM   #5

Chesapeake Beach , Maryland
Lights flicker on shore power

My 2019 FC's range lights flicker when the water pump is used when connected to shore power. It never bothered me, just thought the power draw caused the flickering. It's only the lights on the range hood, the other lights do not flicker.
Piercejf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:58 AM   #6
ranchometal

2014 23' Flying Cloud
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Mare Island , California
For what it's worth, we just had warranty work done on our trailer. The lights flickered when the water pump ran. The service tech said he'd heard from other techs that a bad pump was the cause and he replaced our pump and the lights now do not flicker.
ranchometal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:06 AM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
If the problem persists and if it bothers you, then I suggest adding a 'buck converter" to the DC circuit for the lights. Its basically a small dc/dc inverter that filters and regulates the DC voltage to the lamps. They are inexpensive, and easy to set up and adjust.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:26 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Thanks for the various feedback

I am OP and thank all of you. Things to follow up on. Given the trailer was finalized in February 2020 when the Covid business was hitting and given some of the other issues (or shall I say deficiencies in build) I have had I suppose it could be anything. As I responded to some. I doubt it is battery connections because my son(electrical and power controllers professional) and I install Victron charge controller and battery temp sensor 5 weeks ago and he did tighten things good. I need to recheck everything once off shore power tomorrow, but if memory serves me only the lights over galley range and in bathroom do this, not the main lights thatare served by the switch at the door. Nor the lights served by the switch in the bed area. So if the situation was related to batteries or their connections it would seem all lights would be impacted. And to the responder who mentioned bad water pump, wellthat is interesting. My water pump is a constant rumbler, but I know that could be related to poor anchoring, rigid pipes hitting panels, air in system, etc. So need to check that as well. Given the problems I read about regarding AS trailer I can only assume that less expensive different brand trailers must have many more problems, RIGHT??
smsasf is offline   Reply With Quote