Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2020, 07:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Classic
Lincoln , Maine
Back up lights on with left turn signal

2008 25FB Airstream Classic.
After driving down a bumpy road, we found our camp. When pulling out in the morning and checking the trailer lighting, both back up lights blink with the left turn signal light. The right turn signal light is normal, and does not activate the back up lights. Brake lighting is also normal, except the back up lights also go on with the brake lights. My truck display warns me of a trailer let turn signal malfunction.

Does anyone have an idea of what is going on?
Does anyone have a trailer lighting schematic?

Thanks,
Paul Turnquist
tqflightdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:11 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Classic
Lincoln , Maine
Oops! My truck display warns me of a trailer LEFT turn signal malfunction.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:57 PM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The brake light and turn signal bulb is a dual filament bulb, so keep that in mind. One bulb does two things. it sounds like the left turn signal wiring is energizing the back up lights. The brake lights are also energizing the back up lights. Iíd guess there is a back up light wire that is loose and is contacting the both the left turn and brake light connections or wires in the assembly for the rear lights. if the back up lights donít work when backing, that may confirm it. Youíve have to take apart the offending light assembly and look and see what you find and possibly put the back up light wire where it is supposed to be or use electrical tape on it to keep it isolated from the other connections.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The turn signal and brake light are the same filament in the dual filament bulb. It is the larger of the 2.
The smaller filament is the tail light.
Are the backup lights in the same fixture as the tail and brake lights?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:22 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Classic
Lincoln , Maine
Thanks to all, I will take apart the light this weekend and let you know how it goes.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:09 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
As mentioned the brake & riding light are in the same bulb - I have seen where one of the 2 two filaments break and touches the other filament and affect the brake & riding lite .
But the reverse is on a seperate circuit - so would be outside the brake light bulb .
I would check inside the trailer to tow plug - most likely in the make/trailer end , with movement of plug & cable possible to loosen / move wire .
85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:37 AM   #7
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
^
X2
Clean both sides of the umbilical plug and coat contacts with dielectric grease. Ck also that a wayward wire strand has not jumped terminals on the attachment side of the umbilical.🤓

Bob
🇺🇸

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:28 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Dry Branch , Georgia
light ground

Make sure your light housing has a good ground. My lights did something similar to yours left to right blinking alternately. Ground was feeding through other bulbs somehow. I scraped off a piece of aluminum can and wedged between light housing and shell of trailer and lights work correctly.

Good Luck
Buckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:51 AM   #9
Mrfixit

Vintage Kin Owner
Bathurst , New Brunswick
Usually poor ground

Hi! Usually when a body is used as a common ground, for all the lights, a poor ground in one of them, can cause a voltage leak to some others. This use to happen in days gone by where the metal bumper was used as a common ground for parking and and backup lights. I have seen double filament bulbs break a filament and re solder to the other function,but that is rare.
mrfixit51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
First thing is to check the bulb and it’s ground. Are they full brightness? Then go to the umbilical cord.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:36 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Classic
Lincoln , Maine
Problem resolved

Thanks to all for for your thoughts and suggestions.
I rechecked the lights:
Running lights, right turn signal lights normal
Left turn signal also turns on both back up lights.
Back up lights also turn on left turn signal.

So power to either the left turn signal or back lights will power both.

So after fiddling with the lights themselves, I took a good look at the umbilical cord. Sure enough, there was a spot that had been squashed. I opened up the cord by making a longitudinal slit, and found three wires that had insulation damage. The left turn signal and backup wires were touching due to damaged wire insulation. So I patched the wires, closed the umbilical cord slit, and problem solved.

So how did the umbilical cord get squeezed? I am using a Propride hitch, and the damaged area of the umbilical cord is directly over the hitch. So now I am looking for the mechanism of injury with this hitch. Have not found it yet.

As an addendum, the Propride hitch is simply - a great hitch. I have never swayed once, in crosswinds, passing trucks, etc.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:59 PM   #12
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
I keep it up and out of the way.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	88A9CC30-127E-4F2F-B564-E346F5AD3A6C_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	376071   Click image for larger version

Name:	9A77C8B2-2598-4335-ACDC-50F0EBE1F084_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	376072  

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:36 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
North Royalton , Arizona
Cleaning the plug with a flattened QTip usually does the trick for me when my turn signals act up.
Iíll be adding the dielectric grease next time based on the suggestions here in AirForum.
Melucy2airs is offline   Reply With Quote