Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Fullerton , North Dakota
Back up Lights

Has anyone installed back up lights on your airstream travel trailer?
LWinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Yes. They work great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8208.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	246581  
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:50 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Fullerton , North Dakota
Back up lights

we just ordered a 25' international rear bedroom. How did you route the wiring from the front to the back of the trailer?
LWinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Mine was stripped, I did a ground up on her. So it was easy.
I ran mine from the 7-way plug under the front to a 7-way service box, then routed inside the frame rail (I boxed in my frame rails in for added strength) all the way to the rear. Then up through the floor and C-channel to the back up lights. Same with tail lights, brake lights and running lights.

Sounds like yours will be new. It may be pre-wired, I do not know. Perhaps some one else will chime in here with that. Or, call Airstream or the place you ordered from and ask. Maybe no to late to have them add it to the order? If they do that??

If not and you still want back up lights. You will have to remove the inside skin in the rear to gain access to the back of your lights.
First wire up your 7-way receptacle on the TV, Then see if the pug end has the required unused wire and connect that. Follow that hopefully to a junction/service box. From there you will run a "new" wire and you will just have to follow the existing path of your tail,brake and running light wiring to the rear. Then up through the floor and C-channel to the lights.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Back up lights used to be standard on the late '60s and most of the '70s Airstreams and Argosy's. I don't know when they stopped installing them. I never found them very useful on those trailers I had with them. Yes, they gave a little light back there, but a long ways back and very hard to see anything anyway. I suppose if you have a back up camera on your trailer they would be more useful. I have not missed having them.

And the last thing I want to do is to back up an Airstream at night....kwunch, krinkle.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote