Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2020, 09:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Connecticut
All ceiling lights only work intermittently.

All ceiling lights only work intermittently. The bulbs and fuses obviously are ok because all lights go on periodically. Has anyone encountered this glitch and have a solution? Thanks.
brundom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Perhaps you can put a little finer point on it.
Are you saying the lights might be on and suddenly without touching anything, they go out?
Or They work in one campground but not another the next day?
Or, they only work when the 'store' switch is on?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:45 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Your profile says you have a 19' trailer... are all the ceiling lights on a single switch, and is it a dimmer switch? If all the ceiling lights are on a single switch, I'd look at that switch and its connections first.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:27 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Connecticut
To clarify, all the lights are on a single switch with a dimmer. I did look at the connections and everything visible seems okay. I do not have the trailer connected to shore power.

I am referring to when I touch the on/off switch. One day it will work fine, the next day it doesn't work. The lights stay on okay once they are on.
brundom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:32 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
North Augusta , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by brundom View Post
To clarify, all the lights are on a single switch with a dimmer. I did look at the connections and everything visible seems okay. I do not have the trailer connected to shore power.

I am referring to when I touch the on/off switch. One day it will work fine, the next day it doesn't work. The lights stay on okay once they are on.

I had the same thing on my 2016 27’ International. About half of my lights had dead diodes. Sometimes all 6 of the diodes would illuminate, sometimes only 3 would illuminate, and sometimes none of them would. I ordered replacement lights for the ones that were failing. The replacement lights were easy to install, but you have to cut the wires because of how the original lights are installed. It’s not a big deal, but you will probably want to pay attention when cutting to preserve as much of the trailer wire as possible. Link to website where I purchased my replacement lights below:

https://led4rv.com/catalog/index.php...roducts_id=554
saraed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:00 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
I just solved my problem!!!!

Two of my fuses were not plugged in properly. Only one of the 2 legs was in the socket with the other simply resting on the contact. Caused all kinds of lighting insanity!

They look good and plugged in but you have to get down there and examine closely! Pull them out and reinsert properly and see what that does for you!

I can see how it happened with mine as I had a hard time doing it right. Either legs of the fuses were slightly rotated or the sockets and they fuses don't line up perfectly. They looked and felt fine till I really looked at them.

Good luck!

Trav
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:27 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
North Augusta , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH View Post
I just solved my problem!!!!

Trav

Niiice!! It’s such a great feeling of relief and pride when you figure out the cause and a solution, isn’t it?! Congrats!!
saraed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:08 AM   #8
Texomajoe

Norman , Oklahoma
I am having problems with my 2019 23FB ceiling lights as well as awning light. AS trailer has spent more time (2 months) in dealer's shop than camping. Now they are moving shop for 2nd time in about a year. Covid has not helped either this summer. My cabin lights initially would lag coming on, turn off suddenly by themselves and now will not come on at all. They recently replaced the inverter but caused another problem trying to access the inverter. They are gracious but have limited expertise that is limited to apparently one tech. I have tested the single two switch with two dimmers wall control. The two fuses to the switches are intact and in place but on contacts of each of the red to black or red to white wires only 3.5 V are measured as they enter the printed circuit board. This all occurs with either battery or shore power. Any ideas? Just trying to get out of here for a week or so this year.
Txomajoe is offline   Reply With Quote