Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
Adding more lights to a vintage trailer

Hi!

I have a '78 Sovereign that I'm currently renovating. I removed the original vents/lights and installed Fantastic Fans. I am now looking to install 16 recessed LED lights in the ceiling on 4 circuits (dinette, kitchen/hall, bathroom, bedroom). Where is the best source of +12v for my lights? Any recommendations?
66replica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I would pick the feeds up from the fans for the lights. You are using LED's so you don't have to worry about overloading circuits. I am going to be doing something similar in my 1975 when the time comes.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
This is an interesting question. My first reaction was that you should tag on to the nearest 12v wire, which I still think is correct.
But that got me thinking, can you overload a 12v circuit? There are no 12v circuit breakers on my trailer, and my buddy's 2011 SOB doesn't have any either. The only circuit breakers are for the 120v side of things.
I don't want to hi-jack the thread, but I think this is a related question. So does anyone know? Can you overload a 12v circuit?
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:45 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
you will have fuses on the 12 volt side.
thehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFly View Post
This is an interesting question. My first reaction was that you should tag on to the nearest 12v wire, which I still think is correct.
But that got me thinking, can you overload a 12v circuit? There are no 12v circuit breakers on my trailer, and my buddy's 2011 SOB doesn't have any either. The only circuit breakers are for the 120v side of things.
I don't want to hi-jack the thread, but I think this is a related question. So does anyone know? Can you overload a 12v circuit?
Both of the Airstreams that we have owned (1960 Pacer and 1980 Caravelle) have had fuses on the 12 Volt circuits. The little tubular glass ones, 1/4" diameter x 1 1/4" long. (The Pacer only had one because it only had one 12 V circuit, an interior light!)

I agree that you can put a lot of LED lights on the original incandescent light circuit. Typical incandescent light draws about 2 Amps and if I remember correctly the LED replacements only draw about 100 mA.

The fuses tend to be hidden in out-of-the-way places; in our Caravelle the fuse block is under the couch next to the battery box.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFly View Post
Should have. The newer SOB they will typically be under the front cover of the converter.

On my 1975 Airstream they were in the same general area as the Uni-volt. They do make 12v circuit breakers but they are used on too many RV's, probably due to cost.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote