Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Adding emergency (strobes) lights

Has anyone added emergency (flashing strobes) to the back of their trailer? I am thinking about adding some emergency strobes to my truck (nothing fancy) to make it a little safer on the highway if we have to pull over and thought about adding a couple to the back of the Airstream.

If you have added emergency lights how did you hook them up?

Thanks

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Ponyfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Strobes may not be as effective as you would like. Back in the 80's I was an EMT and read some of the trade journals. A study on strobes had been done in California: they made a large purchase of ambulances, and outfitted half of them with strobes on the back. The other half were equipped with just four amber flashers on the corners, going on/off in unison. The idea was to make it look like you'd expect a maintenance truck to look like.

The ones with strobes suffered significantly more rear-end collisions. I think people get mesmerized/distracted by strobes, and also excited so they want to look at the incident.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Strobes may not be as effective as you would like. Back in the 80's I was an EMT and read some of the trade journals. A study on strobes had been done in California: they made a large purchase of ambulances, and outfitted half of them with strobes on the back. The other half were equipped with just four amber flashers on the corners, going on/off in unison. The idea was to make it look like you'd expect a maintenance truck to look like.

The ones with strobes suffered significantly more rear-end collisions. I think people get mesmerized/distracted by strobes, and also excited so they want to look at the incident.
Thanks thats good information maybe some amber flashing lights would work better

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Old 11-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Just use the four way flashers (if you have an emergency, that is). Strobes are for emergency vehicles at an emergency scene.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I find the already installed flashers to be adequate especially with nice brite LEDs. I do not want to blind on coming drivers just get their attention. If you do not have them get a set of portable triangles and use them if needed.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:45 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I find the already installed flashers to be adequate especially with nice brite LEDs. -- snip -- get a set of portable triangles and use them if needed.
Agree - a set of battery powered flashers, battery powered flares, or similar emergency lighting/reflective devices should be in your tow vehicle emergency bag for events that need more than the std flashers.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Agree - a set of battery powered flashers, battery powered flares, or similar emergency lighting/reflective devices should be in your tow vehicle emergency bag for events that need more than the std flashers.
Thanks this is great advice, I have the triangle reflectors and may add the battery flares. This option is a lot easier and cheaper than adding hazard lights. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Thanks everyone for your ideas

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Old 11-05-2017, 04:03 PM   #8
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Google turbo flare
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:33 PM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyfvr View Post
-- snip -- Thanks everyone for your ideas
Yep, AW usually has good no nonsense advice. Now there is another point. As Slow would say, you have to test to get it right. The battery ones do tend to die after a while. The reflectors just keep going and going and going.

Turbo flare does look a trick. Good recomendation. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Maybe a few of these
https://www.harborfreight.com/emerge...ght-62158.html
Old 11-06-2017, 04:11 AM   #11
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I completely agree with SSquard. Many studies have been done to enhance the safety of First Responders. As SS point out, too many lights have actually caused more harm than helped. People, often intoxicated, will drive right into the lights. The most dangerous place to be standing is behind an ambulance or squad car.
Get the triangles and get as far off the road as you can, limp to the nearest ramp or parking lot if at all possible.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:26 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
In a roadside emergency when your vehicle, trailer, motorcycle is off to the side.

Wait away and to the rear
of your vehicle as far off the road as possible. (NOT to the front)

You want to be back and AWAY from your right rear corner. Up the berm if necessary.

When a distracted or under the influence driver hits your disabled vehicle it will not push it into you.

If it is freezing out and you have to wait inside your disabled vehicle face forward in your seat with your seatbelt on.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:44 AM   #13
dst
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
The Woodlands , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
I completely agree with SSquard. Many studies have been done to enhance the safety of First Responders. As SS point out, too many lights have actually caused more harm than helped. People, often intoxicated, will drive right into the lights. The most dangerous place to be standing is behind an ambulance or squad car.
Get the triangles and get as far off the road as you can, limp to the nearest ramp or parking lot if at all possible.
Unfortunately I have first hand experience with this. I was about to get in an ambulance to drive (volunteer EMT at local 911 agency) and a drunk driver slammed into the back of the ambulance. I went tumbling down the highway and by the grace of God was not hit as his vehicle continued past me. My two patients were pretty rattled but were belted in.

But I am also a fan of early warning devices to get driver attention. I would suggest the small led assemblies. You can even get a bracket that goes around your license plate that will hold a couple. Amber should be legal in all states, you just need to figure out where to get power. Ideally a small switch near the door of the camper (by the use/store switch) would allow you to turn them on when needed, but prevent accidental activation.
dst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:26 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Just to piggy-back on this thread. In addition to lights, a safety jacket with reflective markings is also a must, day and night, anytime you pull over the road. I keep mine in the pocket behind the driver's seat.
comprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:53 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Attleboro , Massachusetts
Well I have strobes on the back of my enclosed car trailer and did have them on my Sunline Camper. I was probably less concerned with emergencies but I live on a busy street and have a hard time getting folk to let me back into my driveway. I had them wired to the backup lights. Your seven way plug has one terminal for back up. I did not put them on my Airstream since it looked like running a wire the length of the Airstream with that underbelly was too much trouble. I do have the red and white DOT conspicuity tape down the sides and across the back of all my trailers. I have one inch wide tape on the Airstream which fits perfectly inside the moulding that goes around the bottom so it doesn't look too garish.
romeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprose View Post
Just to piggy-back on this thread. In addition to lights, a safety jacket with reflective markings is also a must, day and night, anytime you pull over the road. I keep mine in the pocket behind the driver's seat.
And please go to an exit if you have a flat. Don't change a tire on the highway. The rim is not worth your (or the tow operator's) life.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:06 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Cary , North Carolina
I purchased a magnetic base amber strobe some time ago (eTrailer) that I carry on the AS just in case. I also have the collapsible reflective triangles that I would place well down the road for early warning. The amber flasher is LED and battery operated so it would last awhile, but the only place to put it is on the top of the back bumper or on the road.

Both the trailer and my 2017 Ford F250 are all aluminum body so no good for magnets!
Lil Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:00 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Thank you everyone for your input. I have ordered LED safety flares. They seem like a good solution and a lot cheaper and easier than emergency lights.

Thanks again

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Old 11-13-2017, 05:28 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Keep these in the TV Spaced down the road with the B/U lights,(if towing) & flashers on the TV/AS.

Switched all lights on the Burb & B/U on the AS to led's.

Bob
Old 11-13-2017, 08:35 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
I completely agree with SSquard. Many studies have been done to enhance the safety of First Responders. As SS point out, too many lights have actually caused more harm than helped.
Someone should tell police departments.
I've been so blinded by the red/blue strobelights flashing in my eyes at construction sites that I almost drove off the road.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote