Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2007, 11:49 AM   #1
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Add an Exterior Door Light?

My '72 Argosy 22 has no exterior light near the entry door. I was thinking a first project might be to add one. Does anyone know what, where, how? I am not married to originality so something new might be fine with me.

I'll appreciate any input.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatismytruc
My '72 Argosy 22 has no exterior light near the entry door. I was thinking a first project might be to add one. Does anyone know what, where, how? I am not married to originality so something new might be fine with me.

Liz and I have been thinking the same thing. Have you looked at the lights available at Camping World? They had a couple of good looking candidates.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Are you talking "Scare" light or "Over the Door" light? For scare lights - VTS has them and so do most truck stops - I put one in on my Caravel - no problem. Over the door light presents some issues with panel removal to have access to pull wires and add a switch. Airstream should still carry them in the modern varient and that should mount no problem to your trailer.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #4
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
There are two on the Camping World site, an inexpensive "running light" looking thing (that would work) and a 500W recessed unit. But not really fond of either.

I do not know what a scare light is, although that 500W unit scares me just thinking about it. I do not want an over the door light, I'm thinking more next to the door, near the lock/handle.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
A scare light is a white or amber light used as a porch light, usually mounted on the side panel next to the door.. I don't know where exactly the name came from.

Here is a link to a source. If you look further, there are LED models that are much better on power usage and heat (they won't melt the lense).

Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	light.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	46494  
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:51 PM   #6
LJH
Rivet Master

1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
Skip, how about contacting someone on the Fourm that salvages ASs and get an origanal porch light from a wreck? Just a thought. LJH 6196
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:17 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
We are looking at the same problem with our 1999 Excella. There's a step light but it doesn't do much! It's a DC light ... is there a replacement unit that is DC but would be quite a bit brighter??

Phil/Edee
Phil/Edee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I had Airstream install one over the door when I ordered my 25" Classic. that give me three outside lights on seperate switches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010003_305511.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	46686  
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:30 AM   #9
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
I saw that exact light at a rally this weekend. That's the one I want!!
Old 10-08-2007, 10:20 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Try WEST MARINE Go for the LED lights.
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Entry Door Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatismytruc

I camped for the first time in a "new to me" Argosy 26' 1977 this past weekend. I noticed several places that were deficient in lighting. I do have a factory installed over the door light, but it was very dim. I'll be looking to install additional outdoor lighting as well.

I shop at a truck/freight trailer repair facility. The prices are reasonable and they are closer than a camping center to me. They have a good selection of trailer, truck, and speciality LED lights as well.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
A scare light is a white or amber light used as a porch light, usually mounted on the side panel next to the door.. I don't know where exactly the name came from.

Here is a link to a source. If you look further, there are LED models that are much better on power usage and heat (they won't melt the lense).

Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!
Here is a website that has a scare light on sale for $20: Surface Mount RV Scare LIght

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:13 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
It scares me that I don't know why this thing is called a scare light. Surely someone by now knows...???
Recessed as it is; seems to me, makes it almost useless for dispersing much light down around the area where it seems it would be wanted..?
Someone please tell just what kind of illumination it gives and to what.
Is there a cone reflector behind the lens and bulb (like in a flashlight) or is this just some oddly conceived marker lamp?
I've got one on my trailer, but have given it no thought as it is apparently burnt out or not working. In fact I don't even recall the toggle switch.
I am assuming it is 12 volt only? or is it dual?
I think I recall a coach type porch light that is removable and screws into a covered (screw-capped) exterior receptacle on older mobile homes. I guess that type receptacle (not sure if it was duplex) could be mounted where the "scare" light is now, with some skin patching.
Whachya think?

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote