Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2021, 11:52 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
'76 Overlander - Polarity Light

I have a 1976 Overlander, one of the Beatrice years, that I always heard about "quality issues." But never saw much evidence until now.

We are the 4th owner becoming so in 2012 and the care of the provious owners is evident. We have tried to continue and have upgraded/replaced various systems and components. In a desire to add a shore-power option I am installing a Camco hot water heater conversion to our hot water tank. This requires plugging into an outlet in the electrical system.

In looking at the wiring and inside the rear closet, where the tank is located, I was pleasantly surprised to find a junction box. In (safely) examining it, I saw two smaller (not romex) wires coming in from the back of the box, and found one to the "line" white wire, and the other to ground. I was at first confused, wondering why it was wired like that...

(see image marked up on left)

In removing the screws and pulling it out (so I could put an outlet box for a GFIC socket) next to it, i saw a red light on the backside of the existing junction box, but then noted, when it was lined up and attached to the interior wall, the light was actually a half-inch above the "globe" mounted on the exterior.

(see image bottom right)

No wonder I've never seen it come on! But, it obviously passed QC in 1976!

I am posting this mainly as an info item. I could have moved the box down a half-inch but that would have revealed a half-inch strip above the box which I would have to "fix" somehow. Given the rare chance of a polarity problem, I left this part of our vintage Airstream... "original."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JctBox.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	334.3 KB
ID:	394648   Click image for larger version

Name:	PolarityLite.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	394649  

TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:12 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
My 75 was not wired like this. I suspect that this was he work of a previous owner and not Airstream.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:23 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
i wondered that as well - until I saw the lineup of the polarity light - that's a standard feature on this era of Airstreams. Many years of Airstreams had the "polarity" light as a warning.

I think it is from the factory.
TAC
TCT
Old 05-03-2021, 03:10 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
My parents' '75 had the polarity light. Modern electrical safety systems make the light obsolete.

Cheers, John
Trnpk Crsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Looking at the photos I would have to think it was originally not lined up. The cutout in the inner skin would have looked different if a previous owner had moved it.
Unless it is easily assessable, I would not use a GFI outlet for the water heater. GFI’s can trip for no reason, called a nuisance trip. You may not notice until you go to use the water. CODE: A GFI is used for 2 reasons. 1- Wet locations like outdoors. 2- Within 6 feet of water like a sink or tub (because you could drop a plugged in appliance into the water).
Old 05-03-2021, 11:40 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Olin, if you don't want to move the box down, what about drilling a new hole the distance needed further down so the light aligns with the lens cover?
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
PLEASE disconnect the polarity light. It is a safety hazard! When the polarity is reversed the hot lead is connected to the shell through the bulb.

While it will only cause a mild shock it is dangerous to someone with a pacemaker and possibly to small pets.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:47 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
PLEASE disconnect the polarity light. It is a safety hazard! When the polarity is reversed the hot lead is connected to the shell through the bulb.

While it will only cause a mild shock it is dangerous to someone with a pacemaker and possibly to small pets.

Well, that's a good point - as streamracer pointed out - as I did in the original post - I did NOT choose to move the junction box down since it would be just leave a big 5/8 inch gap in the inner skin - and visible from the middle shelf.

I did think about not rewiring in the polarity light - and I hadn't come up with a good reason not to.

But, I'm trying to figure out how the "hot lead" is connected to the shell.... The bulb, isn't "on" and the "hot lead" is connected to the white wire, while the other wire is grounded. BUT, I guess in a reverse polarity situation, the "white wire" would become the hot lead to create such a situation.

BUT, since the bulb isn't truly functional (as it isn't, now) I may just choose to keep it disconnected. That does make it "safer."

Thanks - good idea!
TAC
TCT
Old 05-04-2021, 03:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilnH2o View Post
BUT, I guess in a reverse polarity situation, the "white wire" would become the hot lead to create such a situation.

Thanks - good idea!
Yes that is when the problem comes in, if you don't see the light is on.

Your welcome.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote