Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
'73 Overlander turn signal light housing

I removed the lights and the housing for my tail light and turn signal lights. They were rusted terribly. One housing has to be rebuilt completely because it is almost disintegrated and the rest of the housings need new sockets installed because of corrosion.. I am pretty sure I can handle that. My question is on the housing where the brake and turn signal lights fit there is a little bulb in the middle of the housing behind the brake light bulb. It is incased in a rubber covering with a black wire attached. What is the bulb for, and can you buy replacements.

On the driver side of the trailer on the side close to the hot water heater their is a light that you can see from your rear view mirror. The light works but the part that covers the wires and lights is missing. What is that light for?

I replaced all the clearance lights today. I bought my replacements from Northern Tool. They had the exact lights. I made my own gaskets and sealed the lights to prevent leaks. They all worked except one. I will worry about that one when I get the tail lights in and my new tires on.

SIU Bound

Brian
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIU Bound
My question is on the housing where the brake and turn signal lights fit there is a little bulb in the middle of the housing behind the brake light bulb. It is incased in a rubber covering with a black wire attached. What is the bulb for, and can you buy replacements.
Those are fiber-optic lenses for your taillight monitor. They do not light by themselves, they merely transmit light from the taillights to the monitor.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIU Bound

On the driver side of the trailer on the side close to the hot water heater their is a light that you can see from your rear view mirror. The light works but the part that covers the wires and lights is missing. What is that light for?
That is the other end of the taillight monitor.
Inland RV sells the housings.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Overlander 63

Those are fiber-optic lenses for your taillight monitor. They do not light by themselves, they merely transmit light from the taillights to the monitor.

Could you explain more to me about the the tailight monitor? I am trying to understand how that works and what it is for

SIU Bound

Brian
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Fiber optic lines run from the deepest, darkest corners of your taillight housings to the housing near your water heater. They are basically light tubes that can flex. There is a small enlarged area on the end in the housing by the water heater that shows the light that has been transmitted. We have the same on our Sovereign, though the monitor itself is all the way up front by the radio antenna.
Fiber optics seem to work pretty good, our internet connection is via fiber optics.