Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2006, 10:44 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
7- pin connector questions

Male end of mine from trailer was shot, had been dragged at some point. Looking at info on line, versus what I see, versus what I see in a '75 service manual and I'm REALLY confused now.
- the wire (mines blue) coming from the trailer "hot" is going to join what on my tv?

- if the blue wire is the "hot" wire, then my brake wire is yellow?

I really messed this up, as the seven pin was enough to plug into my tv to work on brakes and get them working, however, I removed what was left of the plug and discarded without making any notes or pics thinking it was going to match my tv color for color easy enough. OOPS and DOUBLE OOPS!
camperski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
LOts of infro if you use the search function. If you are too computer challenged to do that, try this link. http://www.airforums.com/forum...ams-13217.html
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
camperski---what do you mesn by "discarded" ? pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
7- pin connector questions

Greetings camperski!

Don't despair! Your dilemma is not uncommon as Airstream did not adopt the "industry standard" for wiring of the Bargman plug until comparatively recent times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperski
Male end of mine from trailer was shot, had been dragged at some point. Looking at info on line, versus what I see, versus what I see in a '75 service manual and I'm REALLY confused now.
- the wire (mines blue) coming from the trailer "hot" is going to join what on my tv?

- if the blue wire is the "hot" wire, then my brake wire is yellow?

I really messed this up, as the seven pin was enough to plug into my tv to work on brakes and get them working, however, I removed what was left of the plug and discarded without making any notes or pics thinking it was going to match my tv color for color easy enough. OOPS and DOUBLE OOPS!
In all probability, your umbilical cord wiring will utilize the colors identified in the link below (which is quite likely identical to what is contained somewhere in your owners' manual) -- and these colors do not necessarily correspond to the typcial use in the modern umbilical wiring:

http://www.airstream.com/airstream/p...lug1966-81.pdf

As a double-check, you might want to utilize a 12-volt battery and a pair of wires with alligator clips on the ends -- attach the battery ground to a good clean ground and then apply power to each of your wires to determine/verify its function -- then attach it to your new Bargman end to the terminal supporting that function. Your tow vehicle is likely wired to the current "industry standard" pattern that is identified in the following link:

http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm

One thing that you may encounter is that your Airstream has a back-up light circuit; while the circuit may not have been connected on the tow vehcile. My Airstream dealer wired each of my tow vehicles and the back-up light circuit was wired on each of my tow vehicles, but friends have found that their dealers didn't wire the circuit on their tow vehicles if they didn't specifically ask that it be wired that way.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:25 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
Thank you all, I've got those links printed. I guess I should have said this is on my 69 Overlander.

- I just got excited about getting to bring it home, and did a bone head move removing the old one without at least taking notes, digital pics at the least.
- discarded means - I threw the road rashed and coroded bargman in a 30yd open top dumpster at the golf course maint this AS has been using as a resurection site. And I'm not going in after it! I'm still confused by the red wire coming through the frame channel.
- After some sleep I'm also leaning towards a PO has tried to "update" the male end of umbilical since my blue wire is of significant heavier gauge, its probably my brake wire.
- Only problem with testing with a 12v, and thats where I'll start, it looks like very little is working in the light department.
- As someone whose not new to resto work, i realized my stupidity on the drive home the other night.
- As someone whose new to AStreaming, I will take it as part of the adventure!

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 09-03-2006, 09:07 PM   #6
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi camperski--The info I have says the following for the old style A/S plug for 1966 thru and including 1981. The number in ( ) is the oclock position on the plug.
(12) RED Left Turn & Stop. (2) GREEN Tail Light & Clearance. (4) BROWN Right Turn & Stop. (6) WHITE Ground. (8) BLACK Back-Up Lights. (10) YELLOW Brakes. (center) BLUE Charge Line.
Hope this helps you.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:25 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
Thank you sir! This does help, I was able to enable the brakes and move the chrome kielbasa to her new home atop 20 yds of or fresh driveway in her honor. Now that she's home the resto should go ALOT faster.