Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2003, 09:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

7" diameter tail light back plates

Has anyone a source for these or a suggestion for how to construct them. Mine have rusted out and Inlandrv does not stock them. I am referring to the metal plate that hold the bulbs and lies under the red tail light cover. Thankyou.
Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 11:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb It might be

Rosemary

It might be helpful if you could post a picture of what you need replacing..
Just a thought..Had you considered LED taillights for replacements??
Good luck on your search..

ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 12:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I know what your talking about Rosemary...

I've heard of folks making new ones from paint can lids...I thought I recalled seeing a website, but I can't seem to find it right now...hmmm

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 10:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: I know what your talking about Rosemary...

Quote:
Originally posted by InsideOut
I've heard of folks making new ones from paint can lids...I thought I recalled seeing a website, but I can't seem to find it right now...hmmm

Shari

I have seen that site as well. The site's owner was the one that recently had some video coverage. Had his coach stored in some shop while he was working on it.

My lenses are shot. Nobody currently has them. One of the sockets has also failed. I'm looking at the LED's. I will however retain what I have in case the lenses become available and "original" airstreams go past the $20k mark. I can get you some good pictures if needed.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 10:10 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Replacing tail light assemblies.

Showing my ignorance here - but what are LED's? Does anyone know the web site referred to above?

Had thought of using a paint can lid also
drilling out the rivets from the old sockets so that I could reuse them; cutting out a 7 inch aluminum circle and a second 7 1/2" circle. Glueing them together; cutting the edges of the larger circle to create a rim and beading the rim with silicone. What do you think?

Thanks for your responses - its great to have your feedback. Makes the whole process a lot of fun.
Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 10:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Does anyone know the web site referred to above?
I'm still looking for it....driving me nuts that I can't remember where I saw that...
Quote:
Showing my ignorance here - but what are LED's?
LED is an abbreviation for Light Emitting Diode. Alot of folks prefer them because they are very efficient (low energy), don't have "bulbs" to burn out and are very bright.

Shari
Attached Images

InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 10:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up No problem~!

Rosemary
Quote:
Showing my ignorance here - but what are LED's? Does anyone know the web site referred to above?
LED's are whats referred to as "Light Emitting Diodes", hences, LED
They are solid state, a spin off from the transistors if you will and, in general, have a life cycle of 100,000 hrs or 10yrs. In some of the newer Airstream models the taillights are now completely LED. The lights emitted from LED can be seen as brighter than the regular light bulbs. Since they're solid state, the power LED's consumed is much less when compared to the regular light bulb.
You're gonna see alot more about them in the years to come.
SuperBriteLED
Here's a great place to start for a general background of products and, info..
Safari Tim Started an excellent thread on the subject~LED Clearance/Marker lights You might want to read it as well as check the numerous links to other sites linked on that thread..
I hope this was of some help for you~

ciao
Vern
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 11:34 PM   #8
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
I thought I saw that as a suggestion on www.airstreamdreams.com ,but I don't even see the taillight lenses on his site at the moment (or that suggestion about paint can lids ) !
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Pacific NW , Washington
Sorry to bring up an old post but I am also needing some backing plates for the older taillights. I have been told to use a paint can lid but could not find any instruction on how to do this?
dgreen78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreen78 View Post
Sorry to bring up an old post but I am also needing some backing plates for the older taillights. I have been told to use a paint can lid but could not find any instruction on how to do this?
Save yourself a ton of greif and replace those 7 inch tail lights with LED lights.

They are brighter in the daylight than the old ones were in the dark.

Safety is always first.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreen78 View Post
You would remove the old bulb mount from the old base, and rivet it into the approximate position it was on the paint can lid. Drill 3 holes in the edge of the lid corresponding with the mounting holes in the lens, and 2-3 holes to run screws through into the skin of the trailer. Wire up the bulb mount and put the bulb in, then put the lens on, using the holes you drilled earlier. If you want to upgrade, you can get better tail lights that are similar in appearance here (pretty inexpensive, too):7" Round Transit Stop and Tail Light - Red Optronics Trailer Lights ST90RB