Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
Carbondale , Colorado
'59 tail lights

I'm restoring a beauty of a '59 18-Footer, got the tail lights working for a while but this weekend had to take a closer look and ended up pulling the wires and removing the sockets from the base plates of the Bargman #99 assemblies.
?#1) Are these originals?
?#2) Can I find base plate replacements? (I don't want to use paint can lids, just don't want to).
?#3) If I can't replace, where do I find bulb sockets to replace into the base plate?

PS is there a picture attached? I think I attached a photo of the lens and the plate........

Jephellis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bargman99.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	62709  
Jephellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:53 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums.
Yes, there is a picture of a Bargman 99. You can re-use the old backing plate, and your local NAPA will have the sockets. If you want to replace the lenses, Yankee Lighting (number99 here on the forums) sells reproductions using the original molds at a reasonable price.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
First of all, welcome aboard, Great to have another '59er around. Second, yes, those are both original to a '59 trailer. As Terry mentioned, replacement lenses are available but the base hasn't been available for some time. You'll need to do all you can to keep them in working order. The one in the picture doesn't look too bad, I've certainly seen much worse.

Best of luck in your taillight efforts.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
Carbondale , Colorado
Thanks guys

Thanks guys!
I'm not only new to this site but new to Airstreams, been dreaming of finding an old one for years and finally did! The restoration is one major project but a great bonding experience with my tools, and wife to be honest!
This forum rocks, can't wait to learn and share more as the project continues!!

Thanks again,
Jephellis
Jephellis is offline   Reply With Quote